Have you heard the story of Thomas Beatie, a man who has given birth twice (and is currently expecting his third due this year)?
Beatie is a transsexual man -- a biologically born female who identifies as a man and has taken the steps to become a legal male. Gender reassignment is a long, individual process -- for Beatie, it was a 10-year journey -- typically consisting of a diagnostic assessment and diagnosis of gender identity disorder, psychotherapy, real-life experience, hormone replacement and surgery.
Female to male transgendered patients may elect to have multiple surgeries, including a hysterectomy and others to remove the vagina, construct a neophallus and place testicular prostheses. Beatie chose to retain his functional female reproductive organs during his transition from female to male, knowing that he would one day like to have children.
- "Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity." The APA Task Force on Gender Identity, Gender Variance, and Intersex Conditions. American Psychological Association. 2008.http://www.apa.org/topics/transgender.html
- BBC News. "Chile weightlifter has unexpected baby during training." Dec. 15, 2008.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8414375.stm
- "Blighted Ovum" American Pregnancy Association. 2006.http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/blightedovum.html
- Calhoun, Ada. "'I Didn't Know I was Pregnant': Travesty or Guilty Pleasure?" TIME. 2010.http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1953105,00.html
- "Ethical Guidelines for Professionals." World Professional Association for Transgender Health, Inc. (WPATH). 2005.http://www.wpath.org/Documents2/Ethics011105.pdf
- Goldman, Russell. "It's My Right to Have Kid, Pregnant Man Tells Oprah." ABC News. 2008.http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4581943&page=1
- Hamilton, BE; Martin, JA; Ventura SJ. "Births: Preliminary Data for 2007." National Vital Statistics Reports. Vol. 57, No 12. National Center for Health Statistics. 2009.http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_12.pdf
- Hoeffel, CC. "Fetus In Fetu: A Case Report and Literature Review." Pediatrics. 2000.http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/105/6/1335
- "Miscarriage." American Pregnancy Association. 2007.http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/miscarriage.html
- "Multiples: Twins, Triplets and Beyond." March of Dimes. 2009.http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_4545.asp
- Patankar, Tufail; Fatterpekar, Girish; Prasad, Srinivasa; Maniyar, Amit; Mukherji, Suresh. "Fetus in Fetu: CT Appearance--Report of Two Cases." Radiology. 2000.http://radiology.rsna.org/content/214/3/735.full
- "Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders." Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition. American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=9855
- "Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders" Version 6. World Professional Association for Transgender Health, Inc. (WPATH). 2001.http://www.wpath.org/publications_standards.cfm
- Sulak, Laura; Dodson, Melvin. "The Vanishing Twin: Pathologic Confirmation of an Ultrasonographic Phenomenon." Obstetrics & Gynecology. Vol 68, Issue 6. 1986.http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/1986/12000/The_Vanishing_Twin__Pathologic_Confirmation_of_an.15.aspx
- "Thomas Beatie Pregnant With Third Child." The Advocate. 2010.http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/02/10/Thomas_Beatie_Pregnant_Man_Expecting_Third_Child/
- "Vanishing Twin Syndrome." American Pregnancy Association. 2007.http://www.americanpregnancy.org/multiples/vanishingtwin.html
A new study found that multiple pregnancies causes women's cells to age faster. HowStuffWorks looks at the study and how pregnancies affect aging.