By now, you've probably heard a horror story or two. And we're not talking Halloween fun here, either. There's just something about childbirth-gone-awry that compels women to share their stories with mothers-to-be.
Whether these cautionary tales are comforting or unsettling, only you can decide. But know this: It's entirely possible you'll bypass those 36-hour labors you keep hearing about and be done in a half-hour. Your labor will be as unique as your fingerprint. Like some of us, you may play a card game through most of it, pausing only to do some serious pushing at the end. And, believe it or not, having a baby can be a whole lot of fun. There's nothing more joyous than bringing life into the world where seconds before, no life existed.
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Breastfeeding
- 10 Diet Tips for Pregnant Women
- 10 Reasons You Might Not Know You're Pregnant (Until You're in Labor)
- 5 Signs of Labor
- Pregnancy Myths or Facts?
- How Pregnancy Works
- How Ultrasound Works
- How Childbirth Works
- How C-sections Work
- Guide to Being One Week Pregnant
- Pregnant and Traveling? What You Should Know
- Can I feel pregnant when my wife is?
- BabyCenter.com. "Postpartum Hair Loss." July 2006. (Feb. 11, 2011) BabyCenter.com.http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc
- Barnhardt, Laura. "When Nursing Doesn't Come Naturally." (Feb. 11, 2011) MarylandFamily.com.http://www.marylandfamilymagazine.com/2009/09/14/when-nursing-doesnt-come-naturally/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Longer Hospital Stays for Childbirth." (Feb. 11, 2011) CDC.gov.http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/hospbirth/hospbirth.htm
- ChildbirthConnection.org. "Choosing a Place of Birth." (Feb. 11, 2011) ChildbirthConnection.org.http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10151
- Davis-Floyd, Robbie. "Pitocin." (Feb. 11, 2011) BirthingNaturally.net.http://www.birthingnaturally.net/barp/pitocin.html
- KidsHealth.org. "A Guide for First Time Parents." (Feb. 11, 2011) KidsHealth.org.http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/preparing_parenthood/guide_parents.html
- KidsHealth.org. "Dealing With Pain During Childbirth." (Feb. 11, 2011). KidsHealth.org.http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/childbirth/childbirth_pain.html
- Kirchheimer, Sid. "Longer Hospital Stays, Healthier Babies?" Dec. 18, 2002. (Feb. 11, 2011) WebMD.com.http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20021218/longer-hospital-stays-healthier-babies
Doulas don't have any medical training but many mothers depend on them to be in the delivery room. Find out more about doulas from HowStuffWorks.