Having the baby was a milestone. You may have looked forward to it as a time when you'd be able to put all the uncomfortable, embarrassing and inconvenient pregnancy stuff behind you, too. You know: the liquids, the small indignities and all the things that start out funny but get old after a while. The truth is that most of the body issues are relatively short-term inconveniences. A few weeks, a month or even a year after the baby's born, they're history, a side note in the baby book.
It's natural to feel discouraged at the tummy pooch and the stretch marks that aren't fading as fast as your mother promised they would. A new baby can be rewarding, frustrating, tiring -- very, very tiring -- exasperating, humbling and awe-inspiring. Your body made that baby possible. Think about that the next time you're confronted with a full length mirror, a sore spot you can't quite disregard or a sink full of hair that was attached to your head a few brief moments ago. Your outlook can't firm up those abdominal muscles, but it can make the cosmetic issues and body image disappointments less significant by putting them in perspective.
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Breastfeeding
- 10 Things No One Tells You About Labor
- 10 Diet Tips for Pregnant Women
- 10 Reasons You Might Not Know You're Pregnant (Until You're in Labor)
- 5 Signs of Labor
- Pregnancy Myths or Facts?
- How Pregnancy Works
- How Ultrasound Works
- How Childbirth Works
- How C-sections Work
- Guide to Being One Week Pregnant
- Pregnant and Traveling? What You Should Know
- Can I feel pregnant when my wife is?
- American Pregnancy. "Do I have a form of Postpartum Depression?" 3/06. (2/6/11).http://www.americanpregnancy.org/firstyearoflife/formofpostpartum.htm
- American Pregnancy. "Eating for Two When Over/ or Under Weight." Undated. (2/6/11).http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/eatingfortwo.html
- Baby Center. "Body changes after childbirth." 1/09. (2/6/11).http://www.babycenter.com/viewArticle.htm?articleId=1456740&bclink=bullet1&scid=adhoc_20110128_cobrand_pantene_A:3
- Berkeley Parents Network. "Hair Loss & Pregnancy." Undated. (2/6/11).http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/pregnancy/hairloss.html
- Bernstein, Eric F. "What Causes a Stretch Mark to Form?" The Patient's Guide. 10/21/10. (2/6/11).http://www.stretchmarks.org/causes.aspx
- Circle of Moms. "Why do you lose heaps of hair after you have a baby and how long does it last?" 2/1/09. (2/6/11).http://www.circleofmoms.com/welcome-to-circle-of-moms/why-do-you-lose-heaps-of-hair-after-you-have-a-baby-and-how-long-does-it-last-179214
- Crawford, Leslie and Sierra Senyak. "The New-Mom Body Survey: 7,000 Women Tell It Like It Is." Baby Center. 12/20. (2/6/11).http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-new-mom-body-survey-7-000-women-tell-it-like-it-is_3653252.bc
- Easy Baby Life. "Your Post Pregnancy Body." Undated. (2/6/11).http://www.easybabylife.com/post-pregnancy-body.html
- Expectant Mother's Guide. "Preventing Stretch Marks During Pregnancy." Undated. (2/6/11).http://www.expectantmothersguide.com/library/pittsburgh/stretch.htm
- Kids Health. "10 Things That Might Surprise You About Being Pregnant." Undated. (2/6/11).http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/your_pregnancy/pregnancy.html
- Klossner, Jayne N. "Maternity Nursing." Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. 2006
- March of Dimes. "4 Million Babies Born Each Year In United States! $8 Million That Shows You Care About All Of Them!." 7/3/08. (2/6/11).http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/22684_30649.asp
- Mayo Clinic. Postpartum Depression." 6/3/10. (2/6/11).http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/postpartum-depression/DS00546
- MSNBC. " Report: Women Ignore Pregnancy Weight Limits." Associated Press. 5/28/09. (2/6/11).http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30982207/ns/health-pregnancy/
- MSNBC. "C-section rates around globe at 'epidemic' levels." 1/12/10. (2/6/11).http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34826186/ns/today-today_health/
- Random Facts. "Pregnancy." Undated. (2/6/11).http://facts.randomhistory.com/2008/11/10_pregnancy.html
- Sutter Health. "New Mom - Physical Changes." Undated. (2/6/11).http://www.babies.sutterhealth.org/afterthebirth/newmom/pp_physical.html
- The National Women's Health and Information Center. "Depression During and After Pregnancy." 3/6/09. (2/6/11).http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/depression-pregnancy.cfm
Does ingesting your placenta after childbirth, whether in pill or natural form, really stave off the baby blues? HowStuffWorks looks at the science.