Out-of-control teenagers aren't pleasant to be around. They say rude, nasty things to their parents and cause the people around them interminable grief and heartbreak. Though it may seem like you've lost your beloved child forever, don't give up. Let your child know that you'll always love him or her, and you'll always be there. Parents may need to seek out a support group of others who've been through the same thing; not only will other parents have helpful advice, but they'll help you realize that you're not alone. Jettison those people in your life that want only to blame you for your teen's actions or question your methods, and take it one day at a time.
- Brown, Erika. "Taming Your Troubled Teen." Forbes. Oct. 14, 2002.
- Dineen, Janice. "Forcing Kids to Face the Consequences." Toronto Star. May 21, 1991.
- Dunnewind, Stephanie. "Support network eases problems for parents of out-of-control teens." Seattle Times. Jan. 21, 2003. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030104&slug=changemain04
- Hutten, Mark. My Out of Control Teen Web site. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://www.myoutofcontrolteen.com/
- Johnston, Hugh F. "Disruptive Behavioral Disorders." Merck Manuals. April 2009. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec19/ch300/ch300g.html
- Maxym, Carol and Leslie B. York. "Teens in Turmoil." Viking. 2000.
- Rimer, Sara. "Desperate Measures: Embattled Parents Seek Help, at Any Cost." New York Times. Sept. 10, 2001. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E00E4DC1738F933A2575AC0A9679C8B63
- Russell, Keith C., John C. Hendee and Dianne Phillips Miller. "How Wilderness Therapy Works: An Examination of the Wilderness Therapy Process to Treat Adolescents with Behavioral Problems and Addictions." College of Natural Resources at the University of Idaho. Nov. 29, 1999. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://www.cnr.uidaho.edu/wrc/publications/montana1.pdf
- Szalavitz, Maia. "The Trouble with Troubled Teen Programs." Reason. Dec. 28, 2006. (Jan. 19, 2011)http://reason.com/archives/2006/12/28/the-trouble-with-troubled-teen
- Teubner, Nellene. "Home Grown Anger." Orange County Register. April 6, 2001.
As The Who would have said, the kids are all right. See the results of a survey on teen behavior at HowStuffWorks.