Everyone enjoys being complimented, and your boyfriend's parents are no exception. If you like the style of their house or the paintings on the wall, feel free to say so. It's also a good way to start a conversation, because you can ask where they found a particular item. If your boyfriend's mom cooked, compliment the meal. If his dad chose the restaurant where you're eating, compliment that. It doesn't have to be any big deal, just a casual "I'm glad you picked this place; it's great!" will do.
Your compliments need to be sincere, however. If you lie about loving Mom's earrings or collection of penguin knickknacks, you might find yourself the recipient of something similar -- forcing you to continue the lie. Also avoid gushing about everything, which you might be tempted to do out of nervousness. You'll come off as fake and your boyfriend's parents will question your sincerity about everything.
Meeting your boyfriend's parents for the first time doesn't have to be scary. Just be the nicest, politest, friendliest version of yourself and you'll be fine. You can't make them like you, but you can leave them with a good impression.
- Boucher, Nicole. "What to Wear to Meet the Parents." Glamour on MSN. 2010. (Sept. 26, 2010)http://www.glamour.com/fashion/2008/10/what-to-wear-to-meet-the-parents?mbid=msn#slide=1
- Field, Genevieve. "5 Rules for Meeting His Parents." Glamour. October 2008. (Sept. 26, 2010)http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life/2008/10/5-rules-for-meeting-his-parents#slide=1
- Houran, James. "Meeting the Parents." Online Dating Magazine. 2010 (Sept. 24, 2010)http://www.onlinedatingmagazine.com/datingoffice08/meetingtheparents.html
- Janes, Erica Rassmusen. "Meeting the Parents? How to Cope." MSN Dating. 2010 (Sept. 26, 2010)http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=19238885&page=1
- Martin, Judith. "Meet the Parents." The Washington Post. March 16, 2005. Page C11. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38575-2005Mar15.html
- McGuire, Judy. "How NOT to handle meeting his parents." CNN Living. Nov. 20, 2008. (Sept. 24, 2010)http://articles.cnn.com/2008-11-20/living/tf.holiday.meet.the.parents_1_la-familia-parents-winters?_s=PM:LIVING
- Suratt, Julie. "What if His Parents Don't Like You?" Cosmopolitan. 2010 (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/relationship-advice/What-If-His-Parents-Dont-Like-You
What's the best way to reconcile after an argument? HowStuffWorks looks at a study exploring how men and women see it very differently.