New experiences keep marriages dynamic. Cultivate new conversations, passions and mutual interests by choosing a new hobby together. If you're both into sports, consider golf, tennis, squash, running or walking. Consider surf lessons, tai chi or cooking classes. Just choose an activity that you both enjoy and will have fun learning about together.
If you love eating out, explore new restaurants once a week without the kids. Make it extra special by dressing up, getting your spouse flowers or choosing a special bottle of champagne.
While choosing a movie that you'll both enjoy once in a while is a good option, television isn't a worthwhile hobby. When we're watching mindless television we're often zoned out rather than engaged in meaningful time together.
By continually putting energy into your relationship, you'll see the benefits on down the line in the form of a deeper, kinder love.
- Henshaw M.A., Jon. "6 Tips For Keeping the Spark Alive in Your Marriage." Family Resource. Oct. 10, 2010.http://www.familyresource.com/relationships/marriage/6-tips-for-keeping-the-spark-alive-in-your-marriage-after-children
- Kids Health. "All About Sleep" Oct.13, 2010.http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/sleep.html#
- Simpkins, Brian. "How To Keep The Spark In Your Marriage." Life Script. Oct. 10, 2010http://www.lifescript.com/Life/Relationships/Marriage/How_To_Keep_The_Spark_In_Your_Marriage.aspx
- Dime Wars. "Jada Pinkett Smith Revealed How She Keeps The Spark In Her Marriage To Will Smith - "Keep It Spontaneous. I Always Surprise Him." Oct. 11, 2010.http://dimewars.com/HipHopNews/Jada-Pinkett-Smith-Revealed-How-She-Keeps-The-Spark-In-Her-Marriage-To-Will-Smith----Keep-It-Spontaneous--I-Iust--I-Always-Surprise-Him---.aspx?PressReleaseID=b2fb337b-f4fa-4ed1-b7ef-846253c6042c.
- Kormly, Kellie B. "Couples can keep the spark in marriage." Pittsburgh Tribune. Oct. 12, 2010.http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/lifestyles/family/s_575302.html
- Camen, Michelyn. "Sweat Hearts: Couples that Train Together Stay Together." Beauty News NYC. Oct. 13, 2010http://www.beautynewsnyc.com/health-fitness/sweat-hearts-couples-who-train-together-stay-together/
- Hopkins, Martha. Lockridge. "Intercourses, An Aphrodisiac Cookbook." Terrace Publishing. 1997.
- Sedona Temple. "Lovers' Retreat." Oct. 14, 2010.http://www.sedonatemple.com/retreat-packages.php
Why do a lot of people look like their spouses? HowStuffWorks look at how the Framingham Heart Study helped to solve this puzzle.