Keeping your weight in check can give you smooth and healthy skin. Exercise, combined with a good diet, will do wonders for one of your most important organs.
Exercise increases your circulation, delivering more nutrients to the skin and the rest of your body while carrying away toxins. It also helps the body produce collagen, which minimizes wrinkles [source: WebMD].
If you smoke or drink too much alcohol, chances are you're harming your skin. Smokers have more wrinkles around their eyes and mouths, and tobacco can cause the skin to turn a yellow or brown color [source: American Skin Association].
People who consume too much alcohol develop enlarged oil glands and blood vessels, which can make your pores appear larger. Chronic alcohol abuse can often leads to liver problems, turning the skin a yellowish color.
For lots more information on skin care, see the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- HealthyWomen.org "Skin Health Overview." Jan. 6, 2009. (April 29, 2010) http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/skin-health
- American Skin Association. "Healthy Skin." 2010. (April 29, 2010) http://www.americanskin.org/resource/
- HealthyWomen.org. "Get Beautiful Glowing Skin." 2010. (April 29, 2010) http://www.healthywomen.org/content/article/get-beautiful-glowing-skin
- Mayo Clinic. "Skin Care: 5 Tips for Healthy Skin." Nov. 29, 2009. (April 29, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-care/SN00003
- American Skin Association. "Sun Safety." 2010. (April 29, 2010) http://www.americanskin.org/resource/safety.php
- MedicineNet.com. "Skin Care and Aging (cont.)." March 4, 2006. (April 29, 2010) http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=60686&
- Glamour Magazine. "8 Secrets to Getting Great Skin." July 31, 2008. (April 29, 2010) http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2008/08/8-secrets-to-great-skin
- Centers for Disease Control. "CDC - Hygiene of the skin: When is clean too clean?" March 5, 2009. (April 29, 2010) http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm
- WebMD. "Smooth Skin Solutions." 2010. (April 29, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/smooth-skin-solutions
- Mayo Clinic. "Moisturizers 101." Dec. 16, 2008. (April 29, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/moisturizers/SN00042
- WebMD. "Exercise Your Body, and Your Skin." 2010. (April 29, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/guide/exercise-your-body-your-skin
Large pores can make you look older and cause annoying blackheads. Learn how to shrink large pores naturally with our skin care tips.