Step 4: Put Your Efforts Into Prevention
One factor you can definitely control is sun exposure. You know it contributes to wrinkles and age spots, but it also does a number on your pores.
Slather on sunscreen every day, even if it doesn't look sunny outside. To treat sun damage, you can use a topical retinoid solution that you can get from your doctor. It will help fight bacteria that cause acne while dealing with the effects of the sun at the same time. Retinoids are one of the few skin products that have been clinically proven to help with the appearance of aging skin.
Large pores are a fact of life for many of us. But taking care of your skin goes a long way toward making them less important.
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Acne Awareness." Dermatology Insights. Fall 2000. (Sept. 8, 2009)http://www.aad.org/public/conditions/_doc/DIFall00.pdf
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Skin Care for People with Acne." (Sept. 9, 2009)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/acneguidelines_new.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Treating Acne in Skin of Color." (Sept. 9, 2009)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/article_skinofcolor.html
- Bouchez, Collette. "The Lowdown on Mineral Makeup." WebMD. (Sept. 9, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-lowdown-on-mineral-makeup
- Crawford, Holly. "Your Skin: Are You Doing Too Much or Too Little?" WebMD. (Sept. 8, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/your-skin-are-you-doing-too-much-or-too-little
- DocShop. "Large Pores." (Sept. 9, 2009)http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatology/skin-flaws/large-pores/
- Mayo Clinic. "Folliculitis Causes." (Sept. 9, 2009)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folliculitis/DS00512/DSECTION=causes
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. "What Is Acne?" (Sept. 9, 2009)http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Acne/acne_ff.pdf
- Roh, M., Han, M., Kim, D., Chung, K. "Sebum output as a factor contributing to the size of facial pores." British Journal of Dermatology. 155(5):890-894, Nov. 2006. (Sept. 9, 2009)http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/bjdr/abstract.00002300-200611000-00005.htm;jsessionid=KyvTD4rYLYJVcdry04py3QpcK619Jxgf2NMzJTGmTh6H4D8hqhL6!-1910442030!181195629!8091!-1
- Taylor S., F. Cook-Bolden, Z. Rahman and D. Strachan. "Acne vulgaris in skin of color." PubMed. (Sept. 8, 2009)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11807471?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
- Villett, Michelle. "Face off: Can you really banish large pores?" Elle Canada. (Sept. 8, 2009)http://www.ellecanada.com/beauty/face/face-off-can-you-really-banish-large-pores/a/27247/2