Since toner has many useful applications, it's a great element to add to your skin care routine. Here are some keys to ensuring it works in harmony with your other grooming products:
- Buy a toner formulated for your specific skin type -- normal, oily, dry, combination or sensitive.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser before applying toner.
- After patting your skin dry with a clean towel, apply toner to a cotton ball or facial tissue.
- Swipe the toner across your t-zone (your forehead and nose) where your skin is likely to be most oily, and then tackle any other oily areas of your face.
- If you're using an alcohol-based astringent avoid applying it to any dry or flaky areas of the skin. If you're using a moisturizing toner, you can rub it over your entire face.
- Once the toner on your skin has dried, you can then apply a moisturizing cream or lotion.
If you're looking for more skin care advice, check out the additional information we have below.
- The Beauty Brains. "The Truth About Skin Toners." July 30, 2008. (July 21, 2009). http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/07/30/whats-the-difference-between-skin-toners-and-astringents/
- Cote, Ryan. "How to Use an Astringent Skin Toner." Free Library. 2007. (July 21, 2009). http://www.thefreelibrary.com/How+to+Use+An+Astringent+Skin+Toner+in+Your+Skin+Care+Routine-a01073795102
- Jenkins, John. "How to Use an Astringent Skin Toner in Your Skin Care Routine." Ezine Articles. Nov. 15, 2006. (July 21, 2009). http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Use-an-Astringent-Skin-Toner-in-Your-Skin-Care-Routine&id=360826
- Kaylor, Annalise. "How to Tone Your Skin." Suite 101. Jan. 17, 2008. (July 21, 2009). http://skin-nail-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/toning_your_skin
- Madison School District. "Staph Skin Infections Fact Sheet." (July 21, 2009). https://www.madison.k12.al.us/departments/healthservices/Documents/STAPH%20SKIN%20INFECTIONS%20FACT%20SHEET.pdf
- Makeup Diva. "What is a toner, what does it do and when should I use it?" (July 21, 2009). http://www.makeupdiva.com/what-is-a-toner-what-does-it-do-and-when-should-i-use-it-what-are-some-of-your-favorites/
- Smart Skin Care. "Basic steps of facial skin care routine: Toning." (July 21, 2009). http://www.smartskincare.com/skincarebasics/basictoning.html
- WiseGeek. "What is Skin Toner?" (July 21, 2009). http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-skin-toner.htm