Even when you've done all the prep work and have all the right tools, you can still run into trouble applying makeup. Using the wrong cosmetics can increase the oiliness of your skin, causing your makeup to look blotchy and streaky. Before you know it, your makeup may start sliding down your face.
To avoid makeup meltdown, you need to consider the types of cosmetics, skin cleansers and other facial products you use. The most important thing to remember for oily skin is to avoid thick, heavy and overly creamy products that contain oils. For example, you shouldn't use products formulated for dry skin -- these are meant to increase oil production.
You should also steer clear of the following oil-inducing products:
- Cleansers that feel sandy and gritty may be too abrasive for oily skin, causing it to produce extra oil to counteract the harshness [source: Bobbi Brown Cosmetics].
- Your instinct may be to remove as much oil as possible, but be wary of products like toners that typically contain certain drying alcohols. These can cause the same rebound effect that occurs from using a harsh cleanser. If you need to use a toner, opt for a mild one [source: Oprah.com].
- Use oil-free moisturizers that will keep skin hydrated without encouraging greasy buildup [source: WebMD].
- When selecting sunscreen, look for oil-free options and avoid lotions that are thick and heavy [source: Syrett].
- If you have oily skin, you may be prone to breakouts, so look for products labeled "noncomedogenic" -- this means they won't clog pores [source: WebMD].
Overall, if you take care with your beauty habits, you can turn your oily skin into a glowing success. By using proper preparation, tools, techniques and products, you can develop a wonderful relationship with the oil in your skin.
For more information on applying makeup to oily skin, see the links on the following page.
- AP Fashion Writer. "Beauty Tips for a Safe and Sexy Summer Look." Today. May 26, 2009. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30944025/
- Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. "Summer Beauty Bummer." (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/learn/summer_beauty_bummer.tmpl
- Bouchez, Colette. "5 Beauty Tips and Secrets Every Woman Should Know." Oprah.com. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/article/style/skinandbody/beauty_beautytips_b1
- Bouchez, Colette. "18 Travel Beauty Tips -- To Go." WebMD. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/18-travel-beauty-tips-to-go
- Bouchez, Colette. "Beauty for a Lifetime." WebMD. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/beauty-for-a-lifetime
- Bouchez, Colette. "Oily Skin: Solutions that Work -- No Matter What Your Age." (Accessed 8/24/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/oily-skin-solutions-that-work
- Bouchez, Colette. "Top Teen Skin Problems -- and How to Solve Them." WebMD. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/top-teen-skin-problems-how-to-solve-them
- Compton, Karen. "Soda in Your Hair? Surprising Budget Beauty Secrets." ABC News. August 13, 2009. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecrets/story?id=8310635&page=1
- Goins, Liesa. "Make Yourself Beautiful on a Budget." WebMD. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/make-yourself-beautiful-on-a-budget
- Gluck, Didi, and Genevieve Monsma. "16 Expert Answers for Eyes, Lips, Skin." WebMD. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/16-expert-answers-for-eyes-lips-skin
- Matlin, Jessica. "Problems with Foundation: The Puzzle Solved." O, The Oprah Magazine. September 2007. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200709_omag_foundation
- Monroe, Valerie. "How and When Do I Use Face Masks?" O, The Oprah Magazine. July 2008. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200807_omag_val_masks
- Monroe, Valerie. "What's Up with Oily Eyelids?" O, The Oprah Magazine. December 2008. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200812_omag_val_eyelids
- Oprah.com. "Five Simple Steps to Fresh Skin." (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/article/style/skinandbody/makeup_skincare
- Oprah.com. "Must-Have Makeup Tools." (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/style/makeup/slideshow1_ss_makeup_tools
- Oprah.com. "Skin Magic." O, The Oprah Magazine. April 2004. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/omagazine/slideshow1_ss_health_o_200404_exfoliate
- Pearl, Eve. "Struggle with Makeup? Tips to Look Flawless." Today. April 20, 2009. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30154849/
- Syrett, Marilynn, Dr. "Make-Up Tips for Oily Skin." Best Syndication. May 26, 2009. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=node/30372
- Today. "Back-to-school Beauty with Bobbi Brown." August 27, 2007. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20462260/
- Today. "Bobbi Brown's Tips to Escape a Makeup Rut." December 4, 2007. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22084294/
- Today. "Makeup 101: How to Get Flawless-Looking Skin." January 18, 2006. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10895271/
- Today. "Makeup 101: Luscious Lips and Cheeks that Glow." January 20, 2006. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10926672/
- Today. "Tricks of the Beauty Trade: The 5-Minute Face." May 16, 2007. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18677622/
- WebMD. "Skin Care Tips for Teens." (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/teen-skin-care-tips
- Wu, Jessica, Dr. "Are Makeup Primers Necessary?" Everyday Health. August 5, 2009. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.everydayhealth.com/blogs/drwusskinandbeautyblog/are-makeup-primers-necessary