Because your eyebrows frame your face, it's important to put thought into their shape and style. To test-drive the look you want, draw over hairs you plan to remove with a light eye pencil. The pencil will essentially mask these areas, and you'll get a sneak preview of how different eyebrow shapes fit your face [source: Grayson].
To find where your eyebrows should begin, place a long and thin object, such as a pencil or cotton swab, vertically along the edge of your nostril. Your eyebrow should begin where the object hits the brow bone.
When you are ready to begin plucking, start on the bottom of your eyebrow and work your way up -- you'll want to keep the top of the brow line natural. To minimize discomfort, pluck brows after washing your face with warm water. The heat will open your pores, making hairs easier to pull out. Plucking hairs in the direction they grow is also less painful than the alternative [source: Cover Girl]. If you accidentally pluck too much, you can use a brow pencil to fill in the gaps. Just remember that you don't want to look like you've removed your whole brow and then drawn a new one on in its place.
After your eyebrows are the shape you desire, you can brush them into place with an eyebrow brush or even a spare toothbrush. You also can use products containing beeswax -- even moustache wax will do -- to hold any wily brow hairs in place.
Playing up your eyes can be easy. Perk up puny lashes by curling or applying a few falsies to make them really pop. Add just few coats of mascara, a perfectly groomed brow and presto -- all eyes will be on you. To learn more tips and tricks for enhancing your eyes, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- ABC News. "Eyelash Extensions: The Next Big Thing in Beauty." Jan 21, 2006. (Accessed 8/12/09) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecrets/story?id=1529151
- Acciardo, Kelli. "Learn How to Apply Fake Eyelashes." June 18, 2009. (Accessed 8/18/09). http://www.seventeen.com/fashion/special/style-blog/applying-fake-eyelashes-video?click=main_sr
- Almasi, Mary Rose. "The No-Knife Eye Lift." WebMD Feature from Good Housekeeping. Oct. 8, 2008. (Accessed 9/3/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-no-knife-eye-lift
- Cover Girl. "5 Things to Know About Mascara." (Accessed 8/13/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/know-about-mascara/
- Cover Girl. "Applying Eyeliner 101." (Accessed 8/12/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/applying-eyeliner/
- Cover Girl. "Eyebrow Shaping 101." (Accessed 8/13/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/eyebrow-shaping/
- Cover Girl. "Eye Color and Eyeliner." (Accessed 8/12/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/eye-color-and-eyeliner/
- Cover Girl. "Eyelash Curler Cues." (Accessed 8/12/09) http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/eyelash-curler-cues/
- Cover Girl. "Mascara 101: How to Apply Mascara." (Accessed 8/13/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/applying-mascara/
- Cover Girl. "Pencil and Pen Points." (Accessed 8/12/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/eyeliner-pencils-and-pens/
- Cover Girl. "Shadow-As-Liner Trick." (Accessed 8/13/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/shadow-as-liner-trick/
- Cover Girl. "Special Eyeliner Effects." (Accessed 8/13/09)http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/eyeliner-effects/
- Cover Girl. "The Ouch Factor." (Accessed 8/13/09) http://www.covergirl.com/makeup-tips/eye-makeup-tips/plucking-eyebrows/
- Grayson, Deborah. "Dilemma of the Week: How Do I Shape My Eyebrows?" iVillage. (Accessed 8/13/09) http://beauty.ivillage.com/makeup/makeupartist/0,,n4bt-p,00.html
- Grayson, Deborah. "Dilemma of the Week: My Eyebrows Are Out of Control. Help!" iVillage. (Accessed 8/13/09)http://beauty.ivillage.com/makeup/makeupartist/0,,7vvcsvf4,00.html
- Hebert, Emily. "Makeup Trends: Black Eye Shadow." Aug. 6, 2009. (Accessed 8/13/09) http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Makeup-Skin-Care/Makeup-Trends-Black-Eye-Shadow
- Missimer, Rick. "How to Use an Eyelash Curler." (Accessed 8/18/09).http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/11076/1/How-to-Use-an-Eyelash-Curler.html
- Otis, Ginger. "Flawless Eye Makeup 101." iVillage. (Accessed 8/12/09)http://beauty.ivillage.com/makeup/0,,8p84skf1-p,00.html