Tempting as it might be to flop into bed right away after a long day -- don't do it. No matter how tired you may be, it's important to take off your makeup. The few extra minutes it may take you to wash and moisturize your face will be well worth it in the morning.
Your face needs a chance to breathe, meaning you shouldn't have makeup on 24 hours a day. Keeping makeup on overnight can lead to clogged pores and, consequently, acne breakouts. Removing your makeup will also keep it from rubbing onto your pillowcase or sheets during the night.
Always remember to put on a moisturizer after using a waterproof makeup remover. Because these products are made to remove the oils in waterproof makeup, they also remove some natural oils from your skin. These natural oils keep your skin safe from irritants you may come in contact with during the day. Moisturizing will help restore your natural oils [source: Mercier].
Despite some of the downsides of using waterproof makeup, the truth is that some people can't live without it. Learning to properly remove these potentially harsh formulas can help keep your skin healthy and blemish free while you use them. For more information about skin care, visit the links on the following page.
- Can a cream really work as well as a face-lift?
- Does worrying cause wrinkles?
- Could I be allergic to makeup?
- How to Brighten a Dull Complexion
- Is mineral makeup really natural?
- How to Determine Your Skin Tone
- How to Even Out Your Skin Tone
- How Botox Works
- How to Make a Face Mask
- Can vitamins protect my skin from the sun?
- Begoun, Paula. "Mascara." Prevention. October 14, 2004. (Accessed 8/31/2009)http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/mascara/266a88dc78803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/lifelong.beauty/makeup
- Brown, Bobbi. "The Right Remover." Prevention. September 20, 2008. (Accessed 8/31/2009)http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/the-right-remover/403d9c4e1de7c110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/lifelong.beauty/makeup/bobbi.brown
- Crezo, Adrienne. "Nine Weird Ingredients In Makeup." CNN. July 18, 2008. (Accessed 8/31/2009)http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/07/18/mf.makeup/index.html
- Guglielmetti, Petra. "The Big Wipe-Off: Your Favorite Eye-Makeup Removers, Tested." Glamour. December 16, 2008. (Accessed 8/31/2009)http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2008/12/the-big-wipeoff-find-your-new.html
- Matlin, Jessica. "Grade-A Papers: Boscia Rose Blotting Linens." Allure Magazine. March 18, 2008. (Accessed 8/31/2009)http://www.allure.com/beauty/blogs/reporter/2008/03/gradea-papers-boscia-rose-blot.html
- Mercier, Laura. "How to Remove Your Makeup." Allure Magazine. (Accessed 8/31/2009)http://www.allure.com/howtos/2007/09/remove_your_makeup
- Morales, Tatiana. "Waterproof Your Face." CBS News. 8/20/02. (Accessed 8/16/09)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/19/earlyshow/contributors/daylehaddon/main519112.shtml