The best way to get a good deal on a facial is to know what you want, shop around and avoid the hype. If you're comparing spas, make sure to double-check the fine print. This can be a challenge because descriptions of services can vary widely from establishment to establishment. Ask how long a facial typically lasts, what types of materials and procedures are used, and how they're priced. These three areas will give you good categories for comparison. It also helps to visit proprietors' websites for more detailed explanations of the services and amenities.
Spas that package facials will also have add-on services. These are the areas you'll have to analyze by evaluating what's included in a package and what isn't. It may seem petty to concentrate on the small details, but it's easy to get confused. When you're bargain hunting, having all the right information is the only way to know you're getting your money's worth.
Shopping out of season for your area can net you a big savings on spa and facial packages, too. Like most other businesses, spas have slow periods, and you can sometimes get a 20 percent discount or better by checking sales and looking for discount certificates in your local paper. Companion services in the area, like high-end dress shops, will sometimes offer discounts to day spas with a purchase.
If you're a dedicated spa lover and get facials regularly, you might also be able to get a discount for buying in bulk, either as a credit, gift card or in individual certificates. Another strategy is to piggy-back your facial onto other spa services, like a massage or pedicure. Similar to buying in bulk, bundling services can sometimes net you a tidy savings.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Beauty Treatment Expert. "Allergic or Adverse Reactions to Beauty Treatments." Undated.1/2/10.http://www.beautytreatmentexpert.co.uk/adverse-allergic-reaction-beauty-treatment.html
- Beauty Treatment Expert. "How to Tell if your Salon or Spa is Clean and Safe." Undated.1/2/09.http://www.beautytreatmentexpert.co.uk/spa-treatment-cleanliness.html
- Buzzle. "Different Types of Facials." 12/31/09.http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-13-2005-64090.asp
- Consumer Reports. "Stressed? Relax-and Find a Spa to Fit Your Budget." 4/20/09. 1/1/10.http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2009/04/stress-spa-deals-tips-for-spa-deals-save-on-spa-treatments-massage-facials.html
- Fine Living. "Getting a Facial Spa." Undated 1/3/19.http://www.fineliving.com/fine/rejuvenation_essentials/article/0,1663,FINE_1422_2336028,00.html
- Laise, Eleanor. "10 Things Your Spa Won't Tell You." Smart Money. 4/17/01. 1/1/10.http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/10-things-your-spa-wont-tell-you-10378/
- Le Visage Skin. "Ten Reasons to Get a Facial." Undated. 1/1/10.http://levisageskin.com/ten-reasons-to-get-a-facial/
- Milt, Amber. "Facial Tips From a Top Spa." Fox News. 6/18/09. 12/30/09.http://www.fncimag.com/imag/Beauty/Facial+Tips+from+a+Top+Spa
- NCA. "CIDESO." Undated. 1/2/10.http://www.ncacares.org/esthetics/CIDESCO.cfm
- Oprah.com. "Age-Defying Facials." Undated. 1/2/10.http://www.oprah.com/article/style/makeovers/health_beauty_facial
- Saint Louis, Catherine. "An Expression of Doubt About Facials." The New York Times. 3/18/09. 12/31/09.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/fashion/19SKIN.html
- The Skin Cancer Foundation. "Skin Cancer Fact Sheet." Undated. 1/2/10.http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-facts/
While some antibiotics can, in fact, help treat acne, the issue of antibiotic resistance is limiting our options. Learn more about antibiotics and acne.