Soap is one of the most common gluten-free skin care products available. Gluten-free soap's prevalence makes sense, considering that soap, itself, is the most widely used skin cleansing product in the world. Furthermore, soap is a common commodity, even in the poorest of countries [source: The Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing with Soap].
Gluten-free soaps are great for anyone who experiences general gluten intolerance or allergies to products containing the protein. Also, like most gluten-free skin cleansing products, gluten-free soaps are often made from all-natural ingredients, so they're perfect for people with sensitive skin or anyone looking to reduce their consumption of artificial chemicals (which many mass-produced soaps are full of). Many all-natural and organic soaps are also gluten-free.
Related HowStuffworks Articles
- AAD (American Academy of Dermatology). "Cutting Through the Clutter: Making the Most of Your Facial Cleansing Routine." PRNewswire. 2009. (08/14/09)http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-21-2005/0003065165&EDATE
- AOCD (American Osteopathic College of Dermatology). "Dermatitis Herpetiformis." 2009. (08/17/09)http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/dermatitis_herpeti.html
- Celiac Disease Foundation. "Celiac Disease." 08/17/09. (08/18/09)http://www.celiac.org/
- Food Allergy Gourmet. "Foods Containing Gluten." 2006. (08/20/09)http://www.foodallergygourmet.com/Celiac/foods_containing_gluten.htm
- For Dummies. "The Essentials of Gluten Sensitivity." 2009. (08/18/09)http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-essentials-of-gluten-sensitivity.html
- Fry, Mary, Diane Gallant and Moira Giammetteo. "Gluten-free/Casein-free Diet An Essential Handout for Teachers and Aides." TACA (Talk About Curing Autism). 2009. (08/21/09)http://gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/essential-handout-for-aides-teachers.htm
- Garko, Michael. "Help Prevent & Treat Joint Pain Using a Leading Dietary Supplement Product that Really Works." Let's Talk Nutrition. 2005. (08/20/09)http://www.letstalknutrition.com/subpages/Treating_Joint_Pain.asp
- The Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing with Soap. "FAQs" 2009. (08/17/09) http://www.globalhandwashing.org/Publications/hand_concept.pdf
- Gluten-Free in SD (San Diego). "Home." 2009. (08/18/09)http://glutenfreeinsd.com/index.html
- Gluten-Free Savonnerie. "FAQ." 2007. (08/18/09)http://gfsoap.com/faq.html
- Gonzales, S. "What is Shea Butter?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (08/20/09)http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-shea-butter.htm
- Green, Peter H. R. and Rory Jones. "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic." "Myths and Unexplored Areas." 2006. HarperCollins, New York.
- Hale, Briony. "Africa Hopes for Anti-wrinkle Cash Cow." BBC. 01/17/03. (08/20/09)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2658591.stm
- Kelling, Carol. "The Numerous Topical Benefits of unrefined Shea Butter." Natural News. 09/12/09. (08/20/09)http://www.naturalnews.com/024157_butter_shea_butter_hexane.html
- Milmo, Cahal. "Butter That Brought Fat Profits to the Mud Huts of Ghana.' The Independent. 05/16/08. (08/20/09)http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/butter-that-brought-fat-profits-to-the-mud-huts-of-ghana-829324.html
- Picco, Michael. "Celiac Disease." Mayo Clinic. 2009. (08/18/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/AN01623
- Reichelt, Karl and A. M. Knivsberg. "Why Use the Gluten-Free and Casein-Free Diet in Autism and What the Results Have Shown so Far." Autism Research Institute. 2003. (08/21/09)http://www.autism.com/treatable/diet_reichelt.htm
The best face cleansers are the ones that benefit your skin, whether it's sensitive, oily or dry. Learn how to choose the best face cleanser for your skin