Benefits of Body Wash Moisturizers
In addition to moisturizing and cleansing benefits, some moisturizing body washes also include vitamin E and other vitamins and minerals. These ingredients can add beneficial nutrients to the skin in addition to water and oils.
If you have sensitive skin, moisturizing body washes may not be the best choice for you because they often contain fragrances and preservatives. Preservatives are used to prevent bacteria growth, and fragrances mask the odor of chemical ingredients -- but fragrances and preservatives can irritate sensitive skin or cause an allergic reaction. However, moisturizing body washes are typically less harsh than soaps and scrubs, so if you have sensitive skin, try a body wash that's organic and fragrance-free [sources: Mayo Clinic, Unilever]. Although they're less harsh than soaps, body washes can still eliminate dirt, bacteria and other irritants from the skin. Plus, moisturizing body washes can trap water and essential oils in the skin -- something soap can't do [source: Draelos].
Thanks to modern science, moisturizing body washes can perform the jobs that soap and lotion used to do separately. Check out the links below to learn more about moisturizing body wash.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Bathing and Moisturizing Guidelines." (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/bathing.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Daily Skin Care Essential to Control Atopic Dermatitis." (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/daily_care.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Dermatologists' Top 10 Tips for Relieving Dry Skin." (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/winter_skin.html
- Bruno, Karen. "What's New: Advances in Body Skin Care." WebMD. 8/5/09. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/body-lotion-cream
- Bruno, Karen. "Women's Skin Care for a Soft Body." WebMD. 8/6/09. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/moisturizer-toning-cream
- Case, Marianne. "The Chemistry Behind Moisturizers." Illumin. 12/4/03. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://illumin.usc.edu/article.php?articleID=118&page=2
- The Chemistry Store. "Foaming Bath Butter." (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.chemistrystore.com/Melt_Pour_Soap-Foaming_Bath_Butter.html
- Draelos, Zoe Diana. "Clinical Situations Conducive to Proactive Skin Health and Anti-Aging Improvement." Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/v13/n1/full/jidsymp20089a.html
- Jaret, Peter. "Men's Grooming: Skin Care for Your Body." WebMD. 7/21/09. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/men-body
- Johnson & Johnson. "Johnson's Softwash." (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.johnsonsforyou.com/products_mois.jsp?id=1#spot
- Mayo Clinic. "Moisturizers: Options for Softer Skin." 12/16/08. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://mayoclinic.com/health/moisturizers/SN00042/NSECTIONGROUP=2
- Mayo Clinic. "Skin Care: Top 5 Habits for Healthy Skin." 12/28/07. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-care/SN00003/NSECTIONGROUP=2
- Unilever. "What Does New Dove Body Wash Do for Skin That Others Don't?" WebMD. (Accessed 8/29/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/one-body-wash-is-different