Don't Dry Out Your Skin
Many acne preparations have a significant drying effect on the skin. This might seem like a good thing, but overdrying can make things matter worse -- oil production might go into overdrive. To avoid this, keep skin moisturized.
It's important to use products that are oil-free or marked "nonacnegenic" or "noncomedogenic," meaning they won't wedge roadblocks of gunk in your pores. If you're treating a breakout with topical acne medication, be sure to apply the moisturizer after the medicine.
In your quest to keep your skin moisturized, avoid ingredients such as certain alcohols and witch hazel. While they might seem like just the things with which to blast annoying pimples, they'll dry out the skin and lead to trouble.
Want more acne tips? Visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- WebMD. "Cosmetic Procedures: Skin Care for Acne-Prone Skin." March 1, 2007. (Accessed August 27, 2009).http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/cosmetic-procedures-skin-care-acne-prone-skin
- Southwestern Star. "Tips on how to manage acne and skin problems." August 26, 2008. (Accessed August 29, 2009).http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1N1-1232841B0B92A968.html
- Edgar, Jolene. "The secret to clearer, smoother skin: acne? At this stage of the game? Here, 26 pointers for pimple-proofing your face." Redbook. November 1, 2002. (Accessed August 27, 2009).http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-93920523.html
- Foster, R. Daniel. "10 myths of skin care: someone's lying to you about how to avoid acne, wrinkles and skin cancer. We set the record straight." Men's Fitness. August 1, 2002. (Accessed August 27, 2009).http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-89389712.html
- Chain Drug Review. "Acne is unconquered but well-treated problem." August 31, 2009. (Accessed August 30, 2009).http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-130938587.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Prevention." April 30, 2008. (Accessed August 26, 2009).http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acne/DS00169/DSECTION=prevention
- MacMillan, Amanda. "The Acne Advantage." Prevention. November 5, 2005. (Accessed August 20, 2009).http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/the-acne-advantage/7e8372e50d803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/health/conditions.treatments/acne
- Leffell, David J., M.D. "Acne: What's True, What's Not?" Dove.us. March 14, 2008. (Accessed September 4, 2009).http://www.dove.us/#/Expertise/Articles/expert_article.aspx[cp-documentid=7051159]/
- "Skin Cleansing." Pgbeautyscience.com. (Accessed September 4, 2009).http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/index.php?id=664&searched=acne&highlight=ajaxSearch_highlight+ajaxSearch_highlight1
- "Over-the-Counter Products." AcneNet. (Accessed September 5, 2009).http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/treatotc.html
- Herman, Marie Kuechel and Paige. "Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are best defense against acne." Post Tribune. August 12, 2007. (Accessed September 5, 2009).http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1N1-11B3EB37712F6E40.html
- "Salicylic Acid." Dermnet NZ. (Accessed September 5, 2009).http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/salicylic-acid.html
- "Salicylic Acid Topical." Medline Plus. (Accessed September 5, 2009).http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a607072.html
- "Salicylic Acid (Topical Route)." Mayo Clinic. (Accessed September 5, 2009).http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR601247
- "Benzoyl Peroxide (Topical Route)." Mayo Clinic. (Accessed September 6, 2009).http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600269/DSECTION=proper-use
- "Benzoyl Peroxide." Medline Plus. (Accessed September 6, 2009).http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a601026.html
- "Benzoyl Perozide Topical." WebMD. (Accessed September 6, 2009).http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-1344-Benzoyl+Peroxide+Top.aspx?drugid=1344&drugname=Benzoyl+Peroxide+Top
- Martin, Patti. "About face for fall Skin-care tips for weathering seasonal acne flare-ups." Chicago Sun Time. September 29, 1999. (Accessed September 5, 2009).http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4505595.html
When it comes to exfoliating your face, you need to proceed with caution. The skin on your face is sensitive! Try these tips for exfoliating your face