Though there are dozens of exfoliating products lining the shelves, you may want to concoct your own. When making an at-home exfoliating scrub or mask, consider using these natural ingredients Dr. Badreshia-Bansal recommends:
Oatmeal: It can be used on all skin types as a natural exfoliator.
Milk: It contains lactic acid, which is found in many popular exfoliating products.
Lemon: This juicy fruit is packed with vitamin C and can be an exfoliator and skin brightener that's great for knees and elbows. (Make sure you wash this off well before going out in the sun to avoid a nasty skin reaction that can happen when lime or lemon juice hits the skin in the sunlight.)
Sugar and Salt: These coarse ingredients act as physical exfoliating agents.
That being said, taking your skin care routine into your own hands comes with risks. "I'm not a fan of the at-home exfoliating," says Dr. Bobby Buka, section chief at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. "You're not sure how harsh the products are for your skin." He recommends in-office peel treatments to his patients instead. "After a peel, your skin would have some brightness to it, increased turgor or plumpness, and less congested pores.
If you want to start off with a gentler all-natural exfoliating mask, Dr. Buka says some of his patients make this one at home: Pop a whole avocado nut in your blender to grind it up, add soy milk, and blend the ingredients into a grainy liquid. Patients will put this on for 20 minutes before bed, and the anti-inflammatory properties of the soy milk may help with pimples.
Want more? Learn more about the Top 10 Natural Exfoliants.
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Saving Face 101: How to Customize Your Skin Care Routine with Your Skin Type. (July 1, 2013). http://www.aad.org/stories-and-news/news-releases/saving-face-101-how-to-customize-your-skin-care-routine-with-your-skin-type
- Badreshia-Bansal Sonia, MD. Personal correspondence.
- Buka, Bobby, MD. Personal correspondence.
- Palamon, Jamie. Discovery Fit and Health. "How to Exfoliate Skin" (July 8, 2013)
- Trimarchi, Maria. Discovery Fit and Health. "Top 10 Natural Exfoliants." (July 1, 2013). https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/tips/5-natural-exfoliants.htm