Overdosing on dairy
In recent years, a series of studies has suggested that dairy products, especially milk, can cause pimples, whiteheads and blackheads in people prone to acne. Researchers have theorized that naturally occurring hormones in milk stimulate the production of sebum and pore-clogging skin cells [source: Bowers]. Some experts have criticized the studies linking acne to dairy, noting that research subjects had to self-report their breakouts [source: Pappas]. Still, if you struggle with hormonal acne, which tends to appear on the chin or along the jaw line, you might consider cutting out dairy as an experiment.
- Bailly, Jenny. "4 Dark-Circle Cures (That Actually Work)." Oprah.com. March 28, 2013. (July 9, 2013) http://www.oprah.com/style/How-to-Fix-Dark-Circles-Under-Eyes-Dark-Undereye-Circles/1
- Bowers, Jan. "Role of food remains controversial." American Academy of Dermatology. May 1, 2012. (July 29, 2013) http://www.aad.org/dw/monthly/2012/acne/diet-and-acne#.Ufam0WTXRTQ
- Calborn, Cherie. "The Wrinkle Cleanse: 4 Simple Steps to Softer, Younger-Looking Skin." Penguin. June 22, 2006.
- Jimenez, Anna. "9 Best (and Worst!) Foods for Health Skin." Total Beauty. April 6, 2011. (July 29, 2013) http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/best-worst-skin-foods
- Long, April. "Dieting Tips: Keep Your Regimen From Harming Your Skin." Elle. May 14, 2010. (July 30, 2013) http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/dieting-tips-keep-your-regimen-from-harming-your-skin-444616
- Magee, Anna. "What TWO glasses of wine a day can do to your face in ten years." Daily Mail. October 20, 2011. (July 29, 2013) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2051161/What-TWO-glasses-wine-day-face-years.html
- Pappas, Apostolos. "The relationship of diet and acne." Dermato-Endocrinology. September-October 2009. (July 30, 2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836431/
- Repinski, Karyn. "Face Facts About Sugar." Prevention. November 2011. (July 29, 2013)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. "Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010." (July 29, 2013) http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/PolicyDoc/PolicyDoc.pdf
Check out the 10 best cities for your skin to discover how climate affects your complexion and why these 10 cities are the best for your skin.