Pore size tends to increase with age, but you don't have to sit back and watch it happen. Along with preventing and clearing clogs, there are steps you can take to keep your pores looking youthful. Here are some suggestions:
- Avoid sun damage. Over time, sun exposure degrades collagen, the connective tissue that supports the pores, allowing them to stretch and sag. Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen or a moisturizer with SPF 15 or higher [source: Litke]. If you spend much of the day outdoors, you'll want to reapply frequently.
- Protect your collagen. Not only does the protein collagen keep the skin firm and supple, but it also maintains the pores' tightness. Use anti-aging products that boost and retain your collagen levels, such as topical antioxidants (vitamins C and E) and retinoids [source: Padykula].
- Don't touch. If you pop or pick at a pimple, you may risk permanently widening the diameter of an inflamed pore. Squeezing blemishes can also lead to scarring, so leave the extractions to the professionals [source: Santillano].
- Adopt healthy habits. Smoking and excess alcohol reduce blood flow to the skin, leading to wrinkles, dullness and large pores. [source: Daily Perricone].
For more information about pores, check out the links below.
More Great Links
- Bailey, Cynthia. "How to Shrink the Appearance of Large Pores." Dr. Cynthia Bailey Skin Care. (October 11, 2013) http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/how-to-shrink-the-appearance-of-large-pores/
- Baumann, Leslie. "8 Steps to Smaller Pores." Yahoo. June 20, 2007. (October 11, 2013) http://health.yahoo.net/experts/skintype/8-steps-smaller-pores
- Daily Perricone. "The 10 Sins of Skin Aging." May 21, 2009. (October 11, 2013) http://www.dailyperricone.com/2009/05/the-10-sins-of-skin-aging/
- Huffington Post. "Can You Shrink Pore Size? A Top Dermatologist Explains The Possibilities." July 5, 2012. (October 11, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/05/shrink-pore-size-face-dermatologist_n_1644018.html
- Jones, Veronica. "Make Big Pores Look Smaller: 7 Tricks That Work." Makeup.com. August 3, 2011. (October 11, 2013) http://www.makeup.com/article/make-big-pores-look-smaller-7-tricks-that-work/
- Litke, Cara. "New target for perfectionists: Itty bitty pores." Allure. January 30, 2008. (October 11, 2013) http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22773736/ns/health-skin_and_beauty/t/new-target-perfectionists-itty-bitty-pores/#.Uls0lmRT3_c
- Padykula, Jessica. "10 Ways to retain and boost your collagen level." SheKnows. January 22, 2013. (October 11, 2013) http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/981305/10-ways-to-retain-and-boost-your-collagen-level
- Saint Louis, Catherine. "Do My Pores Look Big to You?" The New York Times. June 1, 2011. (October 11, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/fashion/many-seek-to-minimize-enlarged-pores-for-a-flawless-look.html
- Santillano, Vicki. "Face Time: Is It Possible to Shrink Pores?" Divine Caroline. (October 11, 2013) http://www.divinecaroline.com/beauty/skincare/face-time-it-possible-shrink-pores
- Taylor, Jill. "Make Your Pores Invisible." Daily Glow. (October 11, 2013) http://www.dailyglow.com/photo-gallery/make-your-pores-invisible#/slide-1
- Whitmore, Lisa. "Can You Shrink Your Pores?" Real Simple. (October 11, 2013) http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/skincare/face/shrink-your-pores-00000000043221/index.html