Let's say you've managed to lighten your dark circles with behavioral changes, a healthy diet and the right skin products. But one morning, after a late night out or for no apparent reason at all, you look in the mirror and see a zombie staring back at you. There are a few quick fixes you can try -- and if they really deliver results, consider incorporating them into your daily routine.
- Soothe puffiness by placing chilled spoons, cucumber slices or any other cold item over your eyes. The low temperature can reduce swelling [source: Levitt].
- Place cotton pads soaked in witch hazel, a natural astringent, over the eyes [source: Lavinthal].
- Encourage fluid drainage by massaging your eyes from the inner to outer corners and toward the temples [source: Lavinthal].
- Soak two teabags in warm or hot water, then allow them to cool before placing on the eyes. Caffeinated teas reportedly cause the blood vessels to constrict, fading away dark circles [source: Lacey].
- If all else fails, there's always concealer. Illuminating formulations, which contain light-reflecting particles, can help the area under the eye look fuller and brighter, says Dr. Wechsler. If you have under-eye bags, though, only apply concealer below them, since covering them up can actually accentuate them [source: Bailly].
For more information on dark circles and other skin care tips, check out the links below.
More Great Links
- Bailly, Jenny. "4 Dark-Circle Cures (That Actually Work)." Oprah.com. March 28, 2013. (July 9, 2013) http://www.oprah.com/style/How-to-Fix-Dark-Circles-Under-Eyes-Dark-Undereye-Circles/1
- Danoff, Rob. "Eyeing Those Dark Circles." MSN Healthy Living. (July 9, 2013) http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/skin/eyeing-those-dark-circles-1
- Fine, Audrey. "Smoking Cessation: The 7 Sneaky Ways Smoking Steals a Woman's Beauty." Total Beauty. March 15, 2011. (July 9, 2013) http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/smoking-ruins-your-beauty/p82052
- Lacey, Miriam. "5 Fast Fixes for Dark Under-Eye Circles." POPSUGAR. October 26, 2011. (July 9, 2013) http://www.bellasugar.com/Dark-Circle-Treatments-Work-20143730
- Lavinthal, Andrea. "You Look Tired." Cosmopolitan. (July 9, 2013) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/skin-care-makeup/you-look-tired-0509
- Levitt, Shelley. "Banish the Bags Under Your Eyes." WebMD. April 12, 2012. (July 9, 2013) http://www.webmd.com/beauty/eyes/banish-the-bags-under-your-eyes
- Mayo Clinic. "Dark circles under eyes." (July 9, 2013) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dark-circles-under-eyes/MY00346
- Morrill, Hannah. "What Causes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes?" Real Simple. (July 9, 2013) http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/skincare/face/causes-dark-circles-under-eyes-00100000095280/index.html
- Ni, Maoshing. "8 Remedies for Under-Eye Dark Circles." Yahoo! Health. August 29, 2008. (July 9, 2013) http://health.yahoo.net/experts/drmao/8-remedies-under-eye-dark-circles
- Wechsler, Amy. Personal correspondence. July 12, 2013.
- Zezima, Katie. "Putting 'You Look Tired' to Rest." The New York Times. June 12, 2008. (July 9, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/fashion/12SKIN.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0