The Full Brazilian?
The newest thing in hair straightening is the Brazilian keratin treatment -- also known by the incredibly creative nickname "BK." It started popping up in the United States in the mid-"naughties" and has since garnered a ravenous cult following -- and a good bit of controversy. Keratin treatment, which costs several hundred dollars, involves a lot of chemicals and hours of painstaking straightening, but devotees swear by the silky results. The thing is, it's sold as a natural treatment, but the active ingredient is actually formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. It's not FDA-approved, and a study by Allure magazine discovered illegally high formaldehyde levels in all of the salons they tested [source: Fischer]. So -- yes, the Brazilian keratin treatment does seem to work wonders, but try it at your own risk.
You'll find more info about hair straightening below.
- ABCNews.com. "Straight Talk on Hair-Straightening Treatment." Aug. 13, 2004. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://abcnews.go.com/2020/BeautySecrets/story?id=124236&page=
- TheBeautyBrains.com. "Phytorelaxer: the Lie of No-Lye Relaxers." Jan. 7. 2008. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/01/07/phytorelaxer-the-lie-of-no-lye-relaxers/
- CBSNews.com. "Health Alarm Over New Hair Straightener." Oct, 26. 2007. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/26/earlyshow/health/main3414868.shtml
- Fischer, Mary. "Scared Straight." (Accessed July 21, 2010) July 7, 2008. http://www.allure.com/magazine/2007/10/scared_straight
- Hairfinder.com. "Choosing the Best Hair Straightener For You." (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://www.hairfinder.com/techniques/choosing-hair-straightener.htm
- Hayt, Elizabeth. "Curls, Split! Ringlets, Begone!" July 19, 2007. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/fashion/19skin1.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=hair%20straightening&st=cse
- La Ferla, Ruth. "Do Straight-Haired Women Have More Fun?" March 17, 2002. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/17/style/do-straight-haired-women-have-more-fun.html?scp=46&sq=hair%20straightening&st=cse
- Landman, Beth. "Score Discounts on the City's Best Hair-Straightening Treatments." June 25, 2010. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/06/the_citys_four_best_hair_strai.html
- Sainani, Kristen. "Hair at Risk." April 19, 2010. (Accessed July 21, 2010) http://www.allure.com/magazine/2010/07/hair_at_risk