When it comes to caring for your skin, you are what you eat. The healthier your skin is, the more likely it is to retain some of its plumpness. And one of the top ways to ensure healthy skin is to eat a diet rich in skin-boosting nutrients, including antioxidants like beta-carotene.
Adequate fluid intake is also essential. Dehydration, which occurs when the body hasn't received enough fluids, can lead to many types of skin damage, including thinness.
If you'd like to learn more about skin care and protection, keep reading for lots more information.
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Be Sun SmartSM." 2009. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.aad.org/public/sun/smart.html
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Skin (anatomy)." (Accessed 8/12/09) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/547591/human-skin
- Gibson, Lawrence E. "Thin Skin: What Causes It?" September 26, 2007.
- MayoClinic.com. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thin-skin/AN01688
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Dry skin." December 16, 2008. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/moisturizers/SN00042/
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Prednisone and other corticosteroids: Balance the risks and benefits." June 7, 2008. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/steroids/HQ01431
- Medline Plus. "Aging Changes in Skin." August 10, 2008. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/004014.htm
- Medline Plus. "Varicose Veins." (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/varicoseveins.html
- Merck Source. "Skin (Integumentary System)." 2001. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.mercksource.com/ppdocs/us/cns/content/adam/visualbody/reftext/html/skin_sys_fin.html
- National Institute on Aging. "Chapter 3: Biochemistry and Aging." January 31, 2008. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.nia.nih.gov/HealthInformation/Publications/AgingUndertheMicroscope/chapter03.htm
- WebMD. "Skin Problems: Wrinkles." 2009. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/toc-image-picture-of-wrinkles
- WebMD. "Varicose Veins and Spider Veins." 2009. (Accessed 8/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/varicose-spider-veins