Anyone who works with his hands or who can tear it up on the guitar knows the consequence -- calluses. Calluses are nothing more than areas of skin that have thickened due to ongoing friction, but they can be painful, and they can be hard to get rid of once they form.
While treating a callus requires more than a good moisturizer, it's an important part of the process:
- Keep calluses covered (bandages, gloves, whatever works) to help to reduce friction
- Soften calluses by soaking your hand(s) in warm water
- Exfoliate thickened skin with a pumice stone
- Slather on thick moisturizing cream to help keep calluses supple and less prone to increased thickening and pain
If a callus is painful and doesn't begin to improve even with your self-care attempts, a visit to the doctor can easily take care of the condition.
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Dermatologists' Top Tips for Skin Care on a Budget." 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010)http://www.aad.org/public/SkinCareonaBudget.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Melanoma Fact Sheet." 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010)http://www.aad.org/media/background/factsheets/fact_melanoma.html
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. "Hand Rashes." 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010)http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/hand_rashes.html
- Aubrey, Allison. "Five Myths About Drinking Water." NPR. April 3, 2008. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://www.npr.org/2008/04/03/89323934/five-myths-about-drinking-water
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Wash Your Hands." Dec. 15, 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://www.cdc.gov/features/handwashing/
- DailyMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine. "Sterillium Comfort Gel." March 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=26639
- Hendrick, Bill. "Sun Exposure While Driving Linked to Cancer." WebMD. May 14, 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/melanoma-skin-cancer/news/20100514/sun-exposure-while-driving-linked-to-cancer
- Kampf, Gunter, and Joachim Ennen. "Regular use of a hand cream can attenuate skin dryness and roughness caused by frequent hand washing." BMC Dermatology. Feb. 13, 2006. (Dec. 23, 2010)http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-5945/6/1
- Kramer, A. et al. "Clinical double-blind trial on the dermal tolerance and user acceptability of six alcohol-based hand disinfectants for hygienic hand disinfection." Journal of Hospital Infection. June 2002. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12090798?dopt=AbstractPlus&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn
- Marino, Christina. "Skin Physiology, Irritants, Dry Skin and Moisturizers." Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. June 2006. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Research/Dermatitis/files/skin_phys.pdf
- Pons-Guiraud, A. "Dry skin in dermatology: a complex physiopathology." Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. Aug. 21, 2007. (Dec. 23, 2010)http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2007.02379.x/abstract
- The Skin Cancer Foundation. "Prevention Guidelines." 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://www.skincancer.org/Guidelines/
- Veien, N.K. and T. Menne. "Treatment of Hand Eczema." Skin Therapy Letter. Sept. 16, 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010)http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2003/8.5/2.html
- WebMD. "Corns and Calluses Treatment." April 29, 2010. (Dec. 23, 2010) http://firstaid.webmd.com/corns-and-calluses-treatment
Are you looking for great foot moisturizing tips for men? Visit Discovery Health to learn about the top 5 foot moisturizing tips for men.