Author's Note: Does shaving really make hair grow back thicker?
From the too much information file: Unlike most male boys, I never fantasized about shaving. I was a visionary, and knew that it would just be another thing I'd have to do during the day. Unlike getting my driver's license, I did not welcome shaving. And to this day, I still don't. I've gone through long periods of sporting a beard and knew firsthand that shaving didn't make it come in any thicker. Toward the end of my bearded days, roughly 10 years or so ago, I kept it neatly cropped, almost to the skin. Then it started coming in white as in gray, as in old. So I shaved it off. I sported a goatee two years ago, but it made me look ancient. Today, I shave my head and it's a pain, although I'm reminded by my girlfriend that it's less of a pain then shaving a pair of legs. We all have our burdens to carry.
- Alexander, Brian. "Sorry, guys: We judge you by your facial hair." NBC News. May 10, 2012. (May 23, 2014) http://www.nbcnews.com/health/sorry-guys-we-judge-you-your-facial-hair-764191
- Basler, Roy P. "Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln: Letter to Grace Bedell." Abraham Lincoln Online. (Jan. 29, 2014) http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/gracebedell.htm
- Bleeding Yankees Blue. "Beards & Boston. It's Official...The Red Sox Make Me Sick." Oct. 16, 2013. (Jan. 26, 2014). http://bleedingyankeeblue.blogspot.com/2013/10/beards-boston-its-official-red-sox-make.html
- Castro, Joseph. "Does Shaving Really Cause Hair to Grow Back Thicker and Coarser?" Live Science. Aug. 25, 2012. (Jan. 26, 2014). http://www.livescience.com/22462-does-shaving-really-cause-hair-to-grow-back-thicker-and-coarser.html
- Cornell Center for Materials Research: Ask a Scientist: "Why most males can grow facial hair." (Jan. 23, 2014) http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/?quid=7
- Lynfield, Yelva L and Peter Macwilliams. "Shaving and Hair Growth." Journal of Investigative Dermatology. March 20, 1970. (Jan. 29, 2014) http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v55/n3/abs/5618137a.html
- Shmerling, Robert. "The Hair-Raising Myth About Shaving." MSN.com. (Jan. 26, 2014) http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/the-hair-raising-myth-about-shaving-1
- Slade, Margot. "Relationships: Do Beards Make a Statement?" The New York Times. Oct. 5, 1987. (Jan. 23, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/05/style/relationships-do-beards-make-a-statement.html
- Trotter, Mildred. "Hair growth and shaving." The Anatomical Record. February 1928. Vol. 37, issue 4, pages 373-379. (Jan. 29, 2014) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.1090370405/abstract