The edible fish eggs (also known as roe) that are a delicacy throughout the world are also showing up in moisturizers. If you want the same world-class skin care that the rich and famous receive, then moisturizers containing caviar extract are for you.
Caviar contains omega-3s, fatty acids known to be highly beneficial to a number of the body's systems -- including the skin. However, it's not believed to have a higher or more concentrated amount of omega-3s than other sources. The main draw of moisturizers containing caviar extract, however, is their luxury factor. The manufacturers of these moisturizers have taken an upscale culinary indulgence and integrated it into a rich, sumptuous skin cream. If you're looking to truly pamper your skin, what ingredient could be more extravagant than caviar?
For lots more information on strange skin care regimens, see the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Cosmeceutical Facts and Your Skin." 2009. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/general_cosmeceutical.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Mature Skin." May 2003. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/sun_mature.html
- Best in Beauty. "Top 10 Strangest Ingredients in Beauty Products." (Dec. 17, 2009) http://bestinbeauty.com/top-10-strangest-ingredients.aspx
- Chocolate Zoom. "Cocoa for the Soul and Skin." Oct. 2, 2006. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.chocolatezoom.com/article.php/Cocoa-for-the-Soul-and-Skin/84/
- EverydayHealth.com. "The Most Effective Moisturizing Ingredients." (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.everydayhealth.com/dry-skin/skin-moisturizer.aspx
- Forbes.com. "Most Expensive Cosmetics." (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.forbes.com/2005/04/20/cx_vg_0420feat.html
- HowStuffWorks.com. "How Skin Moisturizers Work." (Dec. 17, 2009) https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/moisturizing/products/skin-moisturizers.htm/printable
- Konno, Sensuke. "Skin Cream with Unconventional Ingredients: Mushroom & Pearl." Inside Cosmeceuticals. June 10, 2007. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.insidecosmeceuticals.com/articles/2007/06/skin-cream-with-unconventional-ingredients-mushro.aspx
- Lee, KW; Kim, YJ; Lee, HJ; Lee, CY. "Cocoa has more phenolic phytochemicals and a higher antioxidant capacity than teas and red wine." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. December 2003 (Dec. 17, 2009). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14640573
- Looking Fit. "Printable Glossary Of Terms: Lotion." April 24, 2008. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.lookingfit.com/articles/glossary-of-terms-lotion-print.html
- Los Angeles Times. "Anti-aging creams with synthetic snake venom." May 3, 2009. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/03/image/ig-beauty3
- Mail Online. "Snake venom face cream becomes best-seller in battle against wrinkles." Sept. 9, 2008. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1053702/Snake-venom-face-cream-best-seller-battle-wrinkles.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Moisturizers: Options for softer skin." Dec. 16, 2008. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/moisturizers/SN00042
- MyBeautyMatch.com. "Don't be fooled by expensive caviar extract products." Dec. 31, 2007. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.mybeautymatch.com/do-not-be-fooled-by-expensive-caviar-extra-base-products/
- Randive, Vinayak B.; Riley, Mary S. "Ingredients for Creating Food Textured Cosmetics." Cosmetic Science Technology. 2007. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://cosmeticsciencetechnology.com/companies/articles/1141.pdf Natural
- Telegraph. "Geisha facial, the 'latest beauty secret' of Victoria Beckham, brought to the masses." Oct. 16, 2008. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/beauty/3365670/Geisha-facial-the-latest-beauty-secret-of-Victoria-Beckham-brought-to-the-masses.html
- The Beauty Brains. "The 10 Strangest Ingredients Used in Cosmetics." July 23, 2008. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/07/23/the-10-strangest-ingredients-used-in-cosmetics/
- VitaminStuff.com. "Cocoa Butter." (Dec. 17, 2009) http://www.vitaminstuff.com/supplements-cocoa-butter.html
- Wellsphere. "Synthesized viper venom provides a promising new antidote to wrinkles." Feb. 2, 2009. (Dec. 17, 2009) http://stanford.wellsphere.com/menopause-article/synthesized-viper-venom-provides-a-promising-new-antidote-to-wrinkles/596452
You slather it on every day, but what's really in your face moisturizer? We teach you the ingredients in face moisturizers that can give you youthful skin