Dakota Free Baby Balm
The last in our list of gluten-free moisturizers is produced by a company that's also based in North Dakota. Dakota Free is a family-run company, founded and operated by the Gillund family.
The Gillunds say they tired of looking for natural body products that didn't contain pesticides, which had plagued the family's health. Instead, they decided to create their own line of skin care products, including the gluten-free Baby Balm moisturizer.
There are only six ingredients in Dakota Free's Baby Balm, five if you opt out of the version with lavender oil. The product is also free of animal-tested ingredients (although it does use beeswax, which also makes it vegetarian, not vegan), it's organic and even peanut free as well.
The balm is thicker than most moisturizers and it shouldn't come as a surprise that it heals and softens. After all, who knows chapped skin like North Dakotans?
Related HowStuffworks Articles
- Burt's Bees. "Radiance Day Crème." Accessed November 11, 2009.http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/face-moisturizers/radiance-day-creme.html
- Dakota Free. "In the Potter's Hand." Accessed November 12, 2009. https://dakotafree.com/About/Default.asp
- Gluten-Free Hub. "MAC moisturizer: improves celiac skin tone." September 21, 2008. http://www.glutenfreehub.com/mac-moisturizer-improves-celiac-skin-tone/
- Gluten-Free Savonnerie. "Moisturizing lotion." Accessed November 12, 2009. http://www.gfsoap.com/lotions.html#lotion
- Keys Soaps. "Luminos moisturizer, 3.4 oz. (100 ml) size." Accessed November 12, 2009. http://www.keys-soap.com/xcart41/product.php?productid=52
- LaPook, Jonathan, MD. "Celiac disease: a diagnosis often missed." CBS News. October 1, 2009. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/01/health/cbsdoc/main5354523.shtml
- Love to Know. "Face moisturizers that are gluten free." Accessed November 12, 2009. http://skincare.lovetoknow.com/Face_Moisturizers_that_Are_Gluten_Free
- PETA2. "Discover the stars' cruelty-free beauty secrets." Accessed November 12, 2009. http://www.peta2.com/stuff/s_stars_secrets.asp
- The Gluten-Free Mall. "Keys Luminos Hydrating Gluten-Free Moisturizer." Accessed November 11, 2009. http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/keys-luminos-hydrating-glutenfree-moisturizer-p-1157.htmlhttp://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/bee.html
- University of Chicago. "Celiac disease 101." Accessed November 12, 2009. http://www.celiacdisease.net/celiac-disease-101
- Vegan Essentials. "Gluten-free hand and body lotion by the Gluten-Free Savonnerie." Accessed November 12, 2009. http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=vegane&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=723125636&Count2=640266060&ProductID=1574&Target=products.asp
- Wap List-Company. "Gluten-Free Savonnerie."Accessed November 12, 2009. http://wap.list-company.com/companyinfo/4028809a13dd74c80113dd770acc55d8/Gluten-Free-Savonnerie-Cosmetics-Personal-Care-Consumer-Goods-North-Dakota-USA.xhtml
You slather it on every day, but what's really in your face moisturizer? We teach you the ingredients in face moisturizers that can give you youthful skin