Benefits of Organic Lotions
When you think of the benefits of a lotion, you may consider how it will moisturize or improve your skin. But when it comes to deciding whether to use an organic lotion, a common question is whether it's really better for you than a nonorganic one. Most people would agree that slathering on pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers isn't a good idea. But using a nonorganic lotion isn't necessarily bad for your skin -- lotions and other skin care products still have to meet certain U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations before they can be sold in the United States. However, using a USDA-certified "100 percent organic" or "organic" product ensures that when you apply lotion, you're not also applying chemical residues [source: USDA].
If you have sensitive skin -- or if you just want to avoid agricultural chemicals -- you may want to use an organic lotion. On the other hand, keep in mind that nonorganic ingredients and synthetic ingredients aren't necessarily bad for your skin. Not everything found in nature is healthy or safe, and some organic ingredients may even irritate sensitive skin [source: USDA].
To learn more about organic health and beauty products, see the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Beyond Pesticides. "What does the USDA Organic Seal mean for you? A National Organic Standards Factsheeet." (Accessed 9/14/2009)http://www.beyondpesticides.org/organicfood/reportsandpublications/Organic_factsheet.htm
- Birnbaum, Cara. "Eco-Friendly Beauty Products." WebMD. (Accessed 9/22/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/eco-friendly-beauty-products?print=true
- Gold, Mary. "Organic Production/Organic Food." USDA Alternative Farming Systems Information Center. 6/07. (Accessed 9/22/09) http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/ofp/ofp.shtml
- Organic Consumers Association. "Coming Clean." (Accessed 9/22/09) http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/comingcleaninfosheet.pdf
- USDA. "Cosmetics, Body Care Products, and Personal Care Products." (Accessed 9/14/2009)http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:A266_3OpK0gJ:www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile%3FdDocName%3DSTELPRDC5068442+FDA+cosmetics+seal&hl=en&gl=us
- USDA. "Organic Labeling and Marketing Information." USDA Fact Sheet. (Accessed 9/14/2009)http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO&navtype=RT&parentnav=AGRICULTURE
- WebMD. "Allergies and Cosmetics." (Accessed 10/5/09) http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/cosmetics