Wind -- especially a cold, dry wind -- can be brutal on your skin. The best defense is to cover your body during windy weather, but there are other ways to protect your skin. Your face is most at risk for chapped, dry skin because it's frequently exposed to the elements -- cold, windy weather can cause dry patches to form on your cheeks and lips because these areas have fewer oil glands. Always apply a facial moisturizer before heading outside and be sure to wear a lip balm [source: Wu].
If you know you're going to spend an extended period of time outdoors in cold, windy weather, you should layer on a series of products to build a barrier between the elements and your exposed skin. First, clean your skin with a mild cleanser. Then, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen, followed by a rich moisturizer to prevent windburn and sun damage [source: Cooking Light]. Also, protect your hands from drying wind by wearing gloves, and dress in layers so you can remove a layer to avoid overheating and sweating [source: American Academy of Dermatology].
For more information on moisturizing your skin by climate, see the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Dermatologists' Top 10 Tips for Relieving Dry Skin." (Accessed 910/2/09) http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/winter_skin.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Sunscreens/Sunblocks." 2009. (Accessed 10/1/2009)http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/sun_sunscreens.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Winter Skin Care Guidelines." (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/winterizing_tips.html
- Bouchez, Colette. "18 Travel Beauty Tips -- to Go." WebMD. 2/22/08. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/18-travel-beauty-tips-to-go
- Bouchez, Collette. "Oily Skin: Solutions That Work -- No Matter What Your Age." (Accessed 9/30/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/oily-skin-solutions-that-work
- Bruno, Karen. "Women's Skin Care for a Soft Body." WebMD. 8/6/09. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/moisturizer-toning-cream
- Chung, Sue. "Dry Skin … In the Summer?" Health Central. 11/9/07. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.healthcentral.com/skin-care/c/38641/16147/dry-skin-summer
- Clark, Susan, P. "Sunscreen and Your Makeup Routine." (Accessed 10/2/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/sunscreen-and-your-makeup-routine
- Cooking Light. "Face Facts: Weathering Winter." (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/beauty/face-facts-weathering-winter-00400000001082
- Dakss, Brian. "Moisturizing Your Dry Winter Skin." CBS News/The Early Show. 1/3/06. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/03/earlyshow/living/beauty/main1175347.shtml
- Davis, Susan. "10 Winter Skin Care Tips." WebMD. 12/21/07. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/ten-winter-skin-care-tips
- Hertzig, Alyssa Kolsky. "Nine Summer Makeup Tips." Good Housekeeping. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/makeup/summer-makeup-tips
- Mann, Denise. "Summer Skin Makeover." WebMD. 7/2/08. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/summer-skin-care-8/5-skin-care-tips
- Marino, Christina. "Skin Physiology, Irritants, Dry Skin and Moisturizers." Washington State Department of Labor and Industries. 6/06. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Research/Dermatitis/files/skin_phys.pdf
- Mayo Clinic. "Dry skin: Lifestyle and Home Remedies." November 26, 2008. (Accessed 10/2/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-skin/DS00560/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies
- Mayo Clinic. "Moisturizers 101: Options for Softer Skin." 12/16/08. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/moisturizers/SN00042
- Metzger, Erica. "Summer Beauty: Hot-Weather Hair and Skin." Ladies' Home Journal. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.lhj.com/style/beauty/body/summer-beauty-hot-weather-hair-and-skin/?page=8
- Patz, Aviva. "Instant Skin Fixes." WebMD. 5/1/08. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/skin-fixes
- WebMD. "Skin Conditions: Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)." 3/1/07. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/atopic-dermatitis-eczema
- Wu, Jessica. "What Kind of Moisturizer Is Best for Cold Weather?" Everyday Health. 10/10/08. (Accessed 9/7/09) http://www.everydayhealth.com/dry-skin/dry-skin-cold-weather.aspx