Ombré/gradient (when colors gradually fade into each other) is a major trend in nails right now. For the most basic effect, get two shades of the same color and apply the darker one to the bottom half of your nails. While that color is still wet, drag the lighter shade through it and up to the tip of your nail. Or, as nail blogger, The Nailasauras shows us, you can create the same look by swirling two colors together and sponging them on your fingernail. Glitter ombré is hot, too -- after polishing with a solid color, brush loose glitter over the base or tips of your nails for a faded-out effect.
- Davis, Dawn. "I Tried it Tuesday: Marbleized Nails." Cosmopolitan.com, July 12, 2011. (April 29, 2012) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/hairstyles-beauty/beauty-blog/marbleized-nails-picture-071211
- Mari, Francesca. "The History Page: Little Luxuries Go Big." The Daily, Aug. 21, 2011. (April 29, 2012) http://www.wondersandmarvels.com/2010/05/the-history-of-nail-polish.html
- McIntyre. Megan. "2012's Most Swoon-Worthy Nail Polish Trends." Refinery 29, Jan. 12, 2012. (April 26, 2012) http://www.refinery29.com/nail-trends-spring-2012
- Molvar, Kari. "The Best Spring 2012 Nail Trends." Harper's Bazaar. (April 26, 2012) http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/spring-2012-nail-trends#slide-1
- Seventeen. "The Hottest Spring Nail Trends!" (April 28, 2012) http://www.seventeen.com/beauty/tips/spring-nail-trends#slide-1
- Schuler, Charli. "Nail Trends to Get Into Now." Total Beauty. (April 26, 2012) http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/nail-trends-spring-2012-mbl
- Shapouri, Beth. "5 Big Nail Trends Happening Right Now: Which Would You Wear?" Glamour, April 26, 2012. (April 26, 2012) http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2012/04/5-big-nail-trends-happening-ri.html
If you never cut your fingernails, what would happen? Find out what happens if you never cut your fingernails at HowStuffWorks.