One of the benefits of a DIY pedicure is that you know the instruments and tools you use are clean but only if you actually clean them. So, your final step is to clean your supplies so they're ready to use the next time.
- Wash and rinse the foot basin or tub. Sanitize with a bleach mixture -- 95 percent water; 5 percent bleach.
- Rinse clippers, or any other metal instruments, with hot water, and use a sanitizing spray as well.
- Pumice and callus stones, cuticle stick, nail and foot files should be washed with warm water and mild soap (baby soap or shampoo is always a great choice). You don't want to scrub as you'll wash away the abrasives that make these tools useful.
- Close the caps tightly on polishes so they don't dry out and on the polish remover so it doesn't leak. Store your polish in a cool, dry place.
- Wipe all the instruments dry or give them ample time to dry out before packaging up for next time.
- As your tools of the trade become worn or too dirty, replace them.
- Put everything away in the same place so that you remember where it is for your next pampering session.
Now, sit back, kick those pretty tootsies up on the table and admire your work.
- Get your Feet Sandal-Ready with these DIY Pedicures Recipes
- 10 Steps to Do Your Own Manicure
- Safe Nail Polish
- Cohen, Arianne. "In the Eye of the Befuddled: Five Beauty Decisions We've Made for You." O, The Oprah Magazine. Spetember 2008. (May 14, 2012). http://www.oprah.com/style/Beauty-Decisions-Made-Easy
- The Cosmetics Cop, Paula's Choice. "Home Manicures and Pedicures." (May 11, 2012). http://www.cosmeticscop.com/body-nail-care-home-manicures-pedicures.aspx
- Curtis, Jae. "How to Use a Foot File for Smooth Feet." Daily Glow. (May 16, 2012). http://www.dailyglow.com/how-to-use-a-foot-file-for-smooth-feet.html
- Fuentes, Carla. "Nail Salon Secrets for a Perfect Manicure and Pedicure at Home." Daily Glow. (May 9, 2012). http://www.dailyglow.com/nail-salon-secrets-for-a-perfect-manicure-and-pedicure-at-home.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Fingernails: Do's and don'ts for healthy nails." (May 15, 2012). http://www.oprah.com/style/Beauty-Decisions-Made-Easy
- McMurray, Shandley. "At-Home Pedicure Tips." Kaboose. (May 10, 2012). http://just-for-mom.kaboose.com/diy-pedicure-tips.html
- Putnal, Olivia. "Give Yourself the Perfect At-Home Pedicure." Woman's Day. (May 10, 2012). http://www.womansday.com/style-beauty/beauty-tips-products/give-yourself-the-perfect-at-home-pedicure-107307
- Sally Beauty. (May 15, 2012). http://www.sallybeauty.com/What-is-the-difference-between-acetone-and-non-acetone-nail-polish-remover%3F-Which-is-best%3F/FAQ_NAILS_023,default,pg.html
- Sassybella. "Sooth your feet with a homemade foot mask." Jnauary 1, 2011. (May 18, 2012). http://www.sassybella.com/2011/01/soothe-your-feet-with-a-homemade-foot-mask/
- Schuler, Charli. "The Best Do-It-Yourself Pedicure Tips." Total Beauty. (May 9, 2012). http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/flash/c_home_pedicure
- Schurman, Aysha. "Avoid Infection and Keep your Pedicure Tools Clean." Life123. (May 14, 2012). http://www.life123.com/beauty/grooming/pedicure/pedicure-tools.shtml
- WebMD. "Calluses and Corns -- Topic Overview." January 6, 2010. (May 16, 2012). http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/calluses-and-corns-topic-overview
- WebMD. "Calluses and Corns: Using Pumice Stones." January 6, 2010. (May 17, 2012). http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/calluses-and-corns-using-pumice-stones-topic-overview
You can't just judge a nail polish by its color. You have to consider its name, too.