Check Your Skin For Cuts
Most clients leave the salon with a set of perfectly polished nails, but some may leave with something far more sinister. In recent years, stories of serious infections and diseases have plagued nail salons across the country. To reduce your odds of picking up a scary infection, check your hands, feet and legs for cuts before you head to the salon. Any openings in your skin make it easier for germs to settle in, leaving you susceptible to illness. If you spot any cuts, scratches or bug bites, reschedule your appointment and give these wounds a chance to heal. It's also best to skip shaving or waxing for two days before your appointment, as hair removal can also leave small nicks or other openings in the skin that allow unwanted bacteria in.
- Anglin, Debbie. "If Your Nail Salon Insured? Is Your Nail Technician Licensed?" Thompson Insurance Enterprises, LLC. (May 28, 2012) http://www.pedicureassociation.org/Resources/Documents/Is%20Your%20Nail%20Salon%20Insured.pdf
- Braunstein, Glenn D., M.D. "Prudent Pampering: How to Choose a Healthy Nail Salon." Huffington Post. April 5, 2010. (May 28, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glenn-d-braunstein-md/prudent-pampering-how-to_b_526021.html
- Breast Cancer Fund. "Choose Safe Cosmetics." (May 28, 2012) http://www.breastcancerfund.org/reduce-your-risk/tips/choose-safe-cosmetics/
- Glamour.com. "Allure Insiders Guide: How to Get a Great Pedicure." Oct. 9, 2009. (May 28, 2012) http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2009/10/how-to-get-a-great-pedicure
- Herman, Jessica. "Personal Shopper: Tipping at Nail Salon." Time Out Chicago." May 17, 2012. (May 28, 2012) http://timeoutchicago.com/shopping-style/shopping/15359041/personal-shopper-tipping-at-nail-salons
- Institute for Women's Health Research at Northwestern University. "Nail Salon Safety." (May 28, 2012) http://blog.womenshealth.northwestern.edu/2010/02/nail-salon-safety/
- Morales, Tatiana. "Getting a Safe Manicure." CBS News. February 11, 2009. (May 28, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500168_162-636817.html
- Nail Manufacturers Council. "10 Nail Myths to Stop Believing." (May 28, 2012) http://files.nailsmag.com/Handouts/myths.pdf
- Nail Manufacturers Council. "How to Choose a Quality Nail Salon." (May 28, 2012) http://files.nailsmag.com/Handouts/NAChooseSalon.pdf
- Nail Manufacturers Council. "What to Look Out for in a Nail Salon." (May 28, 2012) http://files.nailsmag.com/Handouts/WhatToLookNailSalon.pdf
- Wyer, E. Bingo. "Getting Out of Hand." Consumers Digest. May 2008. (May 28, 2012) http://www.consumersdigest.com/special-reports/nail-salons
You can't just judge a nail polish by its color. You have to consider its name, too.