Get a New Diagnosis
If none of your remedies seem to help and what you thought was cradle cap doesn't clear up, it's time for a visit to your pediatrician. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, other skin conditions can easily be confused with seborrheic dermatitis [source: Johnson].
Different forms of eczema can affect babies, showing up as oozy bumps and dry, itchy skin. Infants may scratch their skin in their sleep, resulting in lesions and thickened skin. There are plenty of treatment options for stubborn eczema, so get thee to a doctor.
Psoriasis can also target little ones, and while it doesn't usually show up on a baby's head, it can cause what looks like a rash combined with flakes or scales. It isn't very common in infants, so you may want a dermatologist's opinion.
Still scratching your head over how to combat cradle crap? Read on for lots more information on this and other skin conditions.
- BabyCenter. "Cradle cap." BabyCenter.com. Last reviewed November 2011. (March 19, 2012) http://www.babycenter.com/0_cradle-cap_80.bc
- BabyCenter. "Psoriasis." BabyCenter.com. (March 19, 2012) http://www.babycenter.com/0_psoriasis_1134884.bc?page=1
- Children, Youth and Women's Health Service. "Cradle cap." Children, Youth and Women's Health Service. Last updated April 12, 2010. Government of South Australia. (Apr. 29, 2010) http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=304&id=2614
- Johnson, Betty Anne, M.D. Ph.D.; and Julia R. Nunley, M.D. "Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis." American Academy of Family Physicians. May 1, 2000 (Apr. 29, 2010) http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2703.html
- Kemper, Kathi J. "The Holistic Pediatrician." HarperCollins, 2002. http://books.google.com/books?id=NXIcx3ObHMYC
- Johnson, Betty Anne and Julia R. Nunley."Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis." American Family Physician. May 2000. (March 16, 2012) http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0501/p2703.html
- KidsHealth. "Cradle Cap." KidsHealth.org. Last reviewed November 2011. (March 16, 2012) http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/cradle_cap.html#
- KidsHealth. "Eczema." KidsHealth.org. Last reviewed October 2009. (March 19, 2012) http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/eczema_atopic_dermatitis.html#
- Mayo Clinic. "Cradle cap." MayoClinic.com. June 6, 2008. (Apr. 29, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/cradle-cap/DS01074/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all
- Mayo Clinic. "Slideshow: Common baby rashes." Oct. 12, 2011. (March 16, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/baby-rashes/FL00090
- MedlinePlus. "Hydrocortisone topical." National Library of Medicine. Last reviewed Oct. 1, 2010. (March 16, 2012) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682793.html
- MedlinePlus. "Seborrheic dermatitis." National Library of Medicine. Last updated May 13, 2011. (March 16, 2012) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000963.htm
- National Institutes of Health. "Seborrheic dermatitis." Medline Plus. Last updated July 2007. (Apr. 29, 2010) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000963.htm
- New Zealand Dermatological Society. "Cradle cap (infantile seborrhoeic dermatitis)." Last updated June 15, 2009. http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/cradle-cap.html
- NYU Langone Medical Center. "Biotin." Last reviewed August 2011. (March 19, 2012) http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21571
- Pantley, Elizabeth. "Gentle baby care: no-cry, no-fuss, no-worry--essential tips for raising your baby." McGraw-Hill Professional, 2003. (Apr. 29, 2010) http://books.google.com/books?id=qeAeepMnpuYC
- Schmitt, B.D. "Cradle Cap." Health Source - Consumer Edition. Jul 2009.
- Sheffield, Ryan C. Et al. "Clinical Inquiries: What's the best treatment for cradle cap." Family Physicians Inquiry Network. Journal of Family Practice. Vol. 46, No. 3, March 2007. Dowden Publications.
- Thomas, D.R. "Malassezia Infections of the Skin." Skin Therapy Letter. July 2006. (March 16, 2012) http://www.skintherapyletter.ca/fp/2006/2.2/2.html
- University of Maryland Medical Center. "Vitamin H (Biotin)." Last reviewed June 26, 2011. (March 16, 2012) http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-h-000342.htm
Treating diaper rash can be tricky. Learn about the top 5 ways to treat diaper rash at HowStuffWorks.