...Or at the Doctor's Office
Sometimes home remedies just don't cut it. If your plantar warts are spreading, bleeding or making your daily life difficult, call a doctor.
Cryotherapy is often the first line of treatment. The doctor freezes the wart with sodium nitride to kill the virus and make the wart fall off. It can also be burned off with acids or a poison called cantharidin. Laser therapy is another option, as is a surgical removal procedure called curettage and desiccation, but the latter is painful and can cause scar tissue that may also hurt. Immunotherapy is only used for hard-to-treat, stubborn plantar warts.
For more information on warts and other troublesome skin conditions, try the next page.
- American Podiatric Medical Association. "Warts." (Accessed 8/5/09)http://www.apma.org/topics/Warts.htm
- Cooper, Jeffrey S. "Plantar Warts." eMedicineHealth. (Accessed 8/5/09)http://www.emedicinehealth.com/plantar_wart/article_em.htm#Plantar%20Warts%20Overview
- Ellin, Abby. "Communal Yoga Mats: Beware of Germs." The New York Times. 7/27/06. (Accessed 8/5/09) http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/27/fashion/27Fitness.html?_r=1&scp=6&sq=plantar+warts&st=nyt
- The Mayo Clinic. "Plantar Warts." 5/02/09. (Accessed 8/5/09) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-warts/DS00509
- MedlinePlus. "Warts." 5/12/09. (Accessed 8/5/09) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/warts.html
- PDRhealth. "Plantar Wart." (Accessed 8/5/09)http://www.pdrhealth.com/disease/disease-mono.aspx?contentFileName=ND1205G.xml&contentName=PLANTAR+WART&contentId=970&TypeId=2
- Podiatry Channel. "Plantar Warts: Plantar Wart Prevention." 5/14/09. (Accessed 8/5/09) http://www.podiatrychannel.com/plantarwarts/prevention.shtml
- Shenefelt, Philip D. "Warts, Nongenital." eMedicine. 5/5/09. (Accessed 8/5/09) http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1133317-overview
- VisualDXHealth. "Plantar Wart in Adults." 12/22/08. (Accessed 8/5/09) http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/plantarWart.htm
Why does the skin of people with acne age less than the skin of those who don't? HowStuffWorks Now reports on what scientists have learned.