If you have tried topical creams and moisturizers, and even laser, infrared or injectable solutions and they aren't effective enough, you may want to consider having a bit of skin surgically removed. A facelift will tighten the areas around your eyes, mouth and jaw line. During this procedure a plastic surgeon uses excess facial fat to sculpt new contours and smooth out other areas. They then reposition the skin and remove any excess [source: American Society of Plastic Surgeons].
With a little time and regular exercise skin can recover from slow, steady weight loss, but people who lose a lot of weight quickly may have some skin left over. This problem is most common after bariatric surgery where sagging skin is usually found on the face, upper arms, neck, torso and buttocks, but can appear wherever excess fat caused skin to expand. Depending on the amount of skin that needs to be removed, more than one surgery may be needed, with a recovery time of weeks or months between surgeries [source: American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery].
For more information on sagging skin, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- About Anti-Ageing. "Do Facial Exercises get Rid of Wrinkles?" (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.aboutantiageing.co.uk/do-facial-exercises-get-rid-wrinkles.html
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. "Procedure Information: Post-Bariatric Body Contouring Surgery After Dramatic Weight Loss." (Accessed 8/10/2009)http://www.surgery.org/public/procedures/post_bariatric
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "Facelift." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Patients_and_Consumers/Procedures/Cosmetic_Procedures/Facelift.html
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "Injectable Fillers." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Patients_and_Consumers/Procedures/Cosmetic_Procedures/Injectable_Fillers.html
- AgingSkinNet. "Causes of Aging Skin." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/basicfacts.html
- Crawford, Holly. "Sagging Skin -- What You and Your Doctor Can Do." Good Housekeeping. (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/skin/sagging-skin-apr07eMedicineHealth
- eMedicineHealth. "Excess Skin Removal after Extreme Weight Loss." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.emedicinehealth.com/excess_skin_removal_after_extreme_weight_loss/article_em.htm
- Irwin, Brandith. "Guide to Thermage." SkinTour. (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.skintour.com/guide-to-cosmetic-treatments/guide-to-thermage
- Karlin, Jan V. "IR Treatments." Nova Cosmetic Center. (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.novacosmeticcenter.com/Ir_Treatments.htm
- Lakeview Dermatology. "Sagging Skin." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.lakeviewderm.com/chicago-dermatologist/dermatology-in-chicago/treatments-chicago/conditions-chicago/sagging-skin-chicago.html
- Mann, Denise. "Facelifts: They're Back (and Better Than Ever)." Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery. (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/face-lift/howperformed.htm
- Mayo Clinic. "Slide Show: Sun Damage." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sun-damage/SN00021
- SkinHelp. "Sagging Skin and Loose Facial Muscles." (Accessed 8/10/09)http://www.skinhelp.co.uk/SaggingSkinAndLooseFacialMuscles.html