On the previous page, we mentioned freezing (or cryotherapy) as a procedure a doctor can perform to help remove flat warts. Another thing a physician can do to help you treat this annoying condition is to offer or recommend medications for it.
There are a number of options when it comes to treating warts pharmaceutically. Some involve prescriptions or medical sessions, while others can be obtained over the counter (OTC). Immunotherapy drugs are a class of medications that can target the HPV virus responsible for your flat wart outbreak, but they are only available by prescription. Injectible medication is a physician-administered treatment.
If you're more of a do-it-yourselfer, you might consider over-the-counter wart treatments. These medications, which often contain salicylic acid, can remove individual warts by dissolving the top layer of skin. This method, however, will not prevent more flat warts from appearing.
If you'd like more skin care tips, check out the next page for lots more information.
- Aetna InteliHealth. "Warts." (Accessed 8/5/2009) http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WS/9339/10988.html
- American Academy of Family Physicians. "Duct Tape More Effective than Cryotherapy for Warts." 2/01/03. (Accessed 8/8/09). http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030201/tips/8.html
- Cleveland Clinic. "Warts: An Overview." (Accessed 8/5/2009) http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/warts/hic_Warts_An_Overview.aspx
- Cleveland Clinic. "Warts: Treatment." (Accessed 8/5/2009) http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/warts/derm_treatment.aspx
- Kidshealth from Nemours. "What's up With Warts?" (Accessed 8/6/2009) http://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/aches/warts.html#
- Medical News Today. "Duct Tape and Other Treatments for Warts." (Accessed 8/5/2009) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17335.php
- The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library. "Warts." (Accessed 8/5/2009) http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch122/ch122c.html
- VisualDx Health. "Flat Wart: A parent's guide to condition and treatment information." (Accessed 8/6/2009) http://www.visualdxhealth.com/child/flatWart.htm
- Warts Information Center. "Flat Warts." (Accessed 8/6/2009) http://www.warts.org/flat-warts.html
- Warts Information Center. "Duct Tape Wart Removal." (Accessed 8/6/2009) http://www.warts.org/duct-tape-wart-removal.html