Once you have under-eye bags, they're almost impossible to get rid of without cosmetic surgery, and we know how expensive that can be. The only thing you can really do is cover them up with makeup. I know what you're thinking, though. What about cucumbers and cold spoons? Let's be clear about this. Under-eye bags and puffiness are not the same thing. As we mentioned earlier, bags form under our eyes with age because our ligaments and skin weaken, allowing fat to push through. This is different from the puffiness that can be caused by a salty diet, allergies and fluid retention. If your "bags" are actually just puffiness, there might be a few home remedies that can help.
For those of you who have been waiting patiently, this is where cucumbers, tea bags, potato slices and spoons might be able to help. When any of these items are cooled and placed on the eyes, they can help reduce puffiness for one simple reason. Cold restricts blood vessels, which can reduce swelling. If your puffiness is the result of fluid retention, you might be able to alleviate it by sleeping with an extra pillow to elevate your head at night. It will help drain the fluid out of your face.
Another popular home remedy for under-eye puffiness is hemorrhoid cream, but you should be careful with this one. It might be able to reduce the appearance of those bags, but you're more likely to end up with irritated eyes instead. You're better off trying to live a healthier lifestyle and using hemorrhoid creams for hemorrhoids.
For lots more information on getting rid of under-eye bags, look over the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Can a cream really work as well as a face-lift?
- Does worrying cause wrinkles?
- Could I be allergic to makeup?
- How to Brighten a Dull Complexion
- Is mineral makeup really natural?
- How to Determine Your Skin Tone
- How to Even Out Your Skin Tone
- How Botox Works
- How to Make a Face Mask
- Can vitamins protect my skin from the sun?
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Turning Back the Hands of Time." Feb. 21, 2005. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://www.aad.org/media/background/news/Releases/Turning_Back_the_Hands_of_Time/
- Benabio, Jeffery MD. "Puffy Eyes and Preparation H." The Derm Blog. June 9, 2008. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://thedermblog.com/2008/06/09/puffy-eyes-and-preparation-h/#more-314
- Bouchez, Colette. "Banish the Bags Under Your Eyes." WebMD. July 29, 2009. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://women.webmd.com/features/banish-the-bags-under-your-eyes
- Doherty, Helen. "Collagen can iron out more than just wrinkles." Run Ireland. (Accessed 09/29/2009.http://www.runireland.com/articles/research-review
- Doherty, Bridget and Julia Vantine. "Growing Younger: Age-Defying Secrets for Women." Google Books. 2002. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=8RD6JAI7g7sC&pg=PA104&dq=under+eye+bags&client=safari#v=onepage&q=under%20eye%20bags&f=false
- Gibson, Lawrence E. M.D. "What causes puffy eyes? How can I reduce under-eye puffiness, especially in the morning?" Mayo Clinic. Oct. 27, 2007. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/under-eye-puffiness/AN00664
- McGraw, Robin. "What's Age Got to Do with it?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life." Google Books. 2009. (Access 09/29/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=9Zh3U_cNQHgC&pg=RA1-PA181&dq=under+eye+bags&client=safari#v=onepage&q=under%20eye%20bags&f=false
- Peretsman, Natalie. "What causes bags under the eyes?" Science Online. October 13, 2008. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://www.scienceline.org/2008/10/13/ask-peretsman-eye-under-bags/
- Science Daily. "Fat Removal Combined With Laser Treatment Eliminates Undereye Bags And Wrinkles." March 5, 2001. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/03/010301071943.htm
- Skin Care Physicians. "Causes of Aging Skin." American Academy of Dermatology. 2008. (Accessed 09/29/2009)http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/basicfacts.html