Hop in the Tub and Relax
For generations, people have used Epsom salt baths as a way to soothe their weary bodies. The reason it's been such a popular remedy is because it's inexpensive and it really does help.
Don't expect miracles; Epsom salt isn't likely to cure all of your ailments. However, you'll be surprised at the relaxing, medicinal effect a soak in warm, Epsom salt-filled bathwater can have on a body. So, whether you're using the mineral for a specific purpose or just want to wind down after a long day, you're sure to enjoy this comforting treatment.
- DeFelice, Karen. "Epsom Salts." EnzymeStuff.com. Aug. 25, 2005. (Sept. 15, 2009) http://www.enzymestuff.com/epsomsalts.htm
- Epsom Salt Council. "Beauty Benefits." (Sept. 14, 2009) http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/beauty_benefits.htm
- Epsom Salt Council. "Beauty Usage Tips." (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/beauty_usage_tips.htm
- Epsom Salt Council. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Sept. 14, 2009) http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/about_faq.htm
- Epsom Salt Council. "The Science of Epsom Salt." (Sept. 14, 2009) http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/about_science_of_epsom_salt.htm
- Mars, Brigitte. Beauty by Nature. Healthy Living Publications. 2006. (Sept. 14, 2009) http://books.google.com/books?id=3eb7OiuZIDMC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false
- Mayo Clinic. "Psoriasis." April 10, 2009. (Sept. 15, 2009) http://mayoclinic.com/health/psoriasis/DS00193
- Mayo Clinic. "Skin care: Top 5 habits for healthy skin." Dec. 28, 2007. (Sept. 15, 2009) http://mayoclinic.com/health/skin-care/SN00003
- Mayo Clinic. "Wrinkles." Jan. 27, 2009. (Sept. 15, 2009) http://mayoclinic.com/health/wrinkles/DS00890
- McLean, Linsey. "United States Patent: Therapeutic Bath Salts and Methods of Use." Sept. 28, 1999. (Sept. 14, 2009) http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT5958462&id=sfQEAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=epsom+salt+bath&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q=epsom%20salt%20bath&f=false
- Meyer, Lawrence. "Why do fingers wrinkle in the bath?" Scientific American. April 2, 2001. (Sept. 15, 2009) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-fingers-wrinkle-in
- Rawls, Jordann. "Detox 101: Do detox baths work?" Examiner.com. July 17, 2009. (Sept. 15, 2009) http://www.examiner.com/x-14353-Yoga-Examiner~y2009m7d17-Detox-101-Do-detox-baths- work
- Waring, R.H. "Report on absorption of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) across the skin." The Magnesium Web Site. (Oct. 13, 2009) http://www.mgwater.com/transdermal.shtml
HowStuffWorks talks to experts to find out why some people love to pop zits — or even watch zit-popping videos on YouTube.