You may find your massage therapist uses more than just fingertips to work out the knots and soothe muscle tension in your body. Most of us are familiar with the types of massage that involve fingers and hands, and maybe elbows and forearms as well -- but there are also forms of massage such as shiatsu, a deep-tissue massage, where a therapist walks all over you, literally. While that may break the tension in your back, what about the scalp?
Head massage is common practice in Indian culture and is part of the ayurvedic tradition, a form of holistic medicine. Ayurvedic scalp massage includes massaging the whole head, including the forehead, face, ears and chin as well as the neck, shoulders, upper back, arms and hands. Some practitioners incorporate essential oils into massage, helping you achieve a meditative state during the session. Ayurvedic scalp massage is believed to not only give us balance by reducing tension, anxiety and stress in the body but it may also stimulate the lymphatic system.
For more information, see the links below.
- 10 Home Remedies for Dandruff
- How Psoriasis Works
- How Baldness Works
- How Hair Replacement Works
- Home Remedy Treatments for Oily Hair
- What if I never cut my hair?
- How quickly does hair grow?
- Is a daily shower too much for your skin?
- Is the sodium lauryl sulfate in my shampoo killing me?
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Massage Therapy
- Scalp Massage Basics
- Chaibi, Aleksander; Tuchin, Peter J.; and Michael Bjorn Russell. “Manual therapies for migraine: a systematic review.” The Journal of Headache Pain. Vol. 12, no. 2. Pages 127-133. 2011. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3072494/
- Field, T.; Hernandez-Reif, M.; Diego, M.; Schanberg, S.; and C. Kuhn. “Cortisol decreases and serotonin and dopamine increase following massage therapy.” The International Journal of Neuroscience. Vol. 115, no. 10. Pages 1397-1413. 2005. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16162447
- Lewis, Kristyn Kusek. “Massage: It's real medicine.” CNN. 2007. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/08/healthmag.massage/
- Mayo Clinic. "Migraine." 2009. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/DS00120/DSECTION=causes
- Mayo Clinic. "Tension Headache." 2009. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tension-headache/DS00304/DSECTION=lifestyle%2Dand%2Dhome%2Dremedies
- Metha, Narenda. “That's Using Your Head.” Yoga Journal. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.yogajournal.com/health/61
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). "Massage Therapy: An Introduction." 2006. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://nccam.nih.gov/health/massage/
- Osborn, Karrie. “Indian Head Massage.” Massage & Bodywork Magazine. Jan. 2005 (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/index.php/article_id/885/Indian-Head-Massage
- PETCO. "Lentek Koolatron Ionic Waterless Pet Massage Brush." 2009. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.petco.com/product/100472/Lentek-Koolatron-Ionic-Waterless-Pet-Massage-Brush.aspx
- Segrave, Kerry. "Baldness: A Social History." 1996. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=_gtCUiP0ZDUC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=scalp+massage%2Bjournal&source=bl&ots=PfNPaPUeT4&sig=NCI-Y55wlmAFtt77O1R_WbD6KZI&hl=en&ei=2hy8SviVI9XU8AbNvKiSDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#v=onepage&q=scalp%20massage%2Bjournal&f=false
- Seliger, Susan. "Massage Therapy for Stress Relief and Much More." WebMD. 2008. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/features/massage-therapy-stress-relief-much-more
- WebMD. "Alternative Treatments for Migraines and Headaches." 2006. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/balance/nontraditional-headache-treatments?page=2
- WebMD. "Chronic Pain -- Other Treatment." 2009. (Nov. 13, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/tc/chronic-pain-other-treatment
Get relief from itchy scalp and other scalp problems with these useful ways to prevent and treat this skin condition.