Many rashes disappear on their own in a few weeks, but a few weeks can seem like an eternity if your rash is itchy or painful. However, there are ways to get immediate relief.
If your rash isn't severe or infected, you probably just need to soothe irritation at the rash site. Calamine lotion is the most common topical treatment for rashes, but you can also apply a hydrocortisone cream or take an antihistamine. Pampering yourself by soaking in an oatmeal bath is a great way to soothe skin and relieve itching, and if your rash is painful, taking ibuprofen or aspirin should ease pain and inflammation.
- Mayo Clinic. "Contact Dermatitis." July 31, 2009. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/contact-dermatitis/DS00985
- Mayo Clinic. "Heat Rash." Jan. 18, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://mayoclinic.com/health/heat-rash/DS01058
- Mayo Clinic. "Slideshow: Common Skin Rashes." Dec. 20, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://mayoclinic.com/health/skin-rash/SN00016
- Prevention Magazine Health Books. "Underarms," in The Female Body: An Owner's Manual. 1996 (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/32/96.cfm
- Rockoff, Alan. "Rash 101: Introduction to Common Skin Rashes." MedicineNet.com. Jan. 11, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.medicinenet.com/rash/article.htm
- Selden, Samuel. "Intertrigo." eMedicine.medscape.com. Aug. 12, 2009. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1087691-overview
- WebMD. "Candidiasis (Yeast Infection)." Oct. 5, 2005. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/candidiasis-yeast-infection
- WebMD. "Heat Rash." Aug. 1, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/heat-rash-topic-overview
- WebMD. "Rash -- Age 12 and Older." Aug. 1, 2008. (Sept. 29, 2009) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/rash-age-12-and-older-topic-overview
What if you're sweating and you're not exercising or experiencing hot weather? Learn what conditions can make you sweat too much at HowStuffWorks.