Whether you eat them in slices or mashed into guacamole, avocados are a fruit that has long been hailed for its anti-aging properties. Avocados are a great source of vitamin E and potassium, as well as monounsaturated fats and antioxidants. The vitamins and minerals in avocados have been shown to reduce cholesterol, improve skin health and lower blood pressure [source: Watson].
Avocados are also rich in folates (also called folic acid or vitamin B). Folates have been linked to heart attack prevention and reducing the risk of osteoporosis [source: Johnson]. Avocados also contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that has been shown to lower bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol and protect against blood clots.
To learn more about aging, healthy foods and how to thwart the aging process with a healthy diet, take a look at the links below.
- Ahluwalia, V.K., and M. Ahluwalia. "A Guide to Aging." Lotus Press. 2005.
- American Heart Association. "Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids." (June 11, 2011) http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632
- Banerjee, Sanjeev, Yiwei Li, Zhiwei Wang, and Fazlul H. Sarkar. "Multi-Targeted Therapy of Cancer by Genistein." Cancer Letters, Vol. 269, No. 2. October 2008.
- Beare, Sally. "50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People." Da Capo Press. 2005.
- Butt, Masood Sadiq, Muhammad Tauseef Sultan, Mehmood S. Butt, and Javaid Iqbal. "Garlic: Nature's Protection Against Physiological Threats." Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, Issue 49. 2009.
- Cassetty, Samantha B., M.S., R.D., and Delia Hammock, M.S., R.D. "Best Anti-Aging Foods." WebMD. (June 8, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/best-anti-aging-foods
- Challem, Jack. "The Inflammation Syndrome: Your Nutrition Plan for Great Health, Weight Loss, and Pain-Free Living." John Wiley and Sons. 2010.
- Johnson, Linda A. "Studies: Folate Protects Against Broken Bones." The Seattle Times. May 13, 2004. (June 12, 2011) http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2001927583_bones13.html
- Klatz, Ronald. "The Science of Anti-aging Medicine." American Academy of Anti-Aging Med. 2003.
- Klein, Deborah A. "The 200 Superfoods that will Save Your Life: A Complete Program to Live Younger, Longer." McGraw-Hill Professional. 2009.
- Martirosyan, Danik M. "Functional Foods for Chronic Diseases." D & A Inc. 2006.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Red wine and resveratrol: Good for your heart?" Mayo Clinic. March 4, 2011. (June 7, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089
- Medline Plus. "Antioxidants." U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. (June 8, 2011) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/antioxidants.html
- Mukhtar, Hasan. "Eat Plenty of Green Leafy Vegetables for Photoprotection: Emerging Evidence." Journal of Investigative Dermatology. Vol. 121, 2003. (June 9, 2011) http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v121/n2/full/5601868a.html
- National Cancer Institute. "Garlic and Cancer Prevention: Questions and Answers." (June 12, 2011) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/garlic-and-cancer-prevention
- Parker-Pope, Tara. "Unlocking the Benefits of Garlic." New York Times Blog. Oct. 15, 2007. (June 12, 2011) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/unlocking-the-benefits-of-garlic/
- Subramanian, Sushama. "Fact or Fiction: Raw veggies are healthier than cooked ones." Scientific American. March 31, 2009. (June 12, 2011) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier
- University of Maryland Medical Center. "Vitamin C -- Ascorbic Acid." (June 12, 2011) http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-c-000339.htm
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. "Folic Acid in Diet." National Institutes of Health. (June 12, 2011) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002408.htm
- Walford, Roy, M.D., and Lisa Walford. "The Anti-Aging Plan: The Nutrient-Rich, Low Calorie Way of Eating for a Longer Life -- The Only Diet Scientifically Proven to Extend Your Healthy Years." Marlowe & Company. 1994.
- Watson, Ronald Ross, Joe K. Gerald, and Victor R. Preedy. "Nutrients, Dietary Supplements, and Nutriceuticals: Cost Analysis Versus Clinical Benefits." Springer. 2010.
- Williams, Stefanie, MD, Slobodanka Tamburic PhD, and Carmel Lally BSc. "Eating Chocolate Can Significantly Protect the Skin from UV Light." Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. Vol. 8, No. 3. September 2009. (June 11, 2011) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2009.00448.x/full
- Zelman, Kathleen M., MPH, RD, LD. "10 Everyday Super Foods." WebMD. (June 9, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/10-everyday-super-foods
- Zelman, Kathleen M., MPH, RD, LD. "The Anti-Aging Diet." WebMD. (June 9, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/guide/anti-aging-diet
5 Ways To Age Gracefully and Healthfully will show you healthy ways to age gracefully. Read on to discover 5 Ways To Age Gracefully and Healthfully.