It's true that in the past, people over 60 tended to stop adopting new technologies. For the Baby Boom generation, however, the stereotype simply doesn't hold.
After all, these are the people who grew up with the sudden explosion of telecommunications, and they saw the advent of the personal computer in their early adulthood. The Baby Boomers adopted these new technologies with zeal and laid the groundwork for a voracious tech market. That hunger doesn't stop just because they hit the big 6-0.
While Boomers may be slower to adopt a new technology than 18-year-olds, they're not afraid of the newest smartphone, online bill-paying option or the weekly streaming videos of the grandkids. Sixty percent consume online social media on a regular basis [source: Wortham]. Far more so than prior generations, Baby Boomers tend to be excited about new, high-tech ways to meet their needs or accomplish old tasks -- like online health care management, a Boomer-heavy tech application if ever there were one.
The moral of the story? Just as plenty of Millennials have had to earn their own way and countless Gen X'ers are downright idealistic, Baby Boomers are far more than the stereotypes imply. Often, they defy them entirely.
For more information on the Baby Boomer generation and related topics, look over the links below.
- "Baby boomers bring new boom, as entrepreneurs." Hispanic Business. May 10, 2011. (May 16, 2011) http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2011/5/10/baby_boomers_bring_new_boom_as.htm
- "Baby boomers 'challenging stereotypes.'" The Sydney Morning Herald. May 19, 2006. (May 16, 2011) http://www.smh.com.au/news/BUSINESS/Baby-boomers-challenging-stereotypes/2006/05/19/1147545502679.html
- "Baby Boomer Lifestyle Traits & Trends." Hartman Group. (May 16, 2011) http://www.hartman-group.com/hartbeat/baby-boomer-lifestyle-traits-trends
- Lohr, Steve. "What Do Baby Boomers Want From Technology? BITS. The New York Times. Dec. 7, 2009. (May 16, 2011) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/what-do-baby-boomers-want-from-technology/
- Pawlowski, A. "Baby boomers eye adventure, bucket list." CNN. May 13, 2011. (May 16, 2011) http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-13/travel/baby.boomer.travel.trends_1_boomers-cruise-ships-cruise-industry?_s=PM:TRAVEL
- Wortham, Jenna. "Baby Boomers, Luddites? Not So Fast." BITS. The New York Times. Feb. 20, 2009. (May 16, 2011) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/baby-boomers-luddites-not-so-fast/
Baby boomers should get weight-bearing exercise to improve bone health and balance. See the top five reasons for baby boomers to get weight-bearing exercise.