When it comes to exercise, if your get up and go has left the building, it may be best to turn to a trained professional to help restore your motivation. A personal trainer or physical therapist will help ensure that your exercise routine involves strength and endurance, flexibility and range of motion. These three facets of exercise are vital for helping ease and improve the symptoms of arthritis.
When choosing a professional to design your exercise program, find someone who'll be considerate of the fact that [source: University of New Mexico]:
- People with arthritis are frequently less active
- Their range of motion is limited by swelling, pain and stiffness
- Repetitive movements can become painful after time
- Extra support and encouragement goes a long way
Ready to get started? We've got lots more information below.
- Arthritis Foundation. "Tai Chi Program." 2011. May 19, 2011 http://www.arthritis.org/tai-chi.php
- Arthritis Foundation. "Golf and Arthritis." 2011. (May 19, 2011). http://www.arthritis.org/golf.php
- Arthritis Foundation. "Walking." 2011. (May 16, 2011) http://www.arthritis.org/walking.php
- Arthritis Foundation. "Water Exercise." 2011. (May 16, 2011) http://www.arthritis.org/water-exercise.php
- Arthritis Today. "Benefits of Stationary Cycling." December 2010. (May 20, 2011). http://www.arthritistoday.org/fitness/other-exercise/stationary-cycling.php
- Arthritis Today. "Phil Mickelson Reveals His Struggle with Psoriatic Arthritis." Aug. 17, 2010. (May 19, 2011). http://www.arthritistoday.org/news/mickelson-reveals-psoriatic-arthritis075.php
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Physical Activity and Arthritis." Aug. 3, 2010. (May 20, 2011). http://cdc.gov/arthritis/pa_overview.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Physical Activity for Arthritis Factsheet." Aug. 3, 2010. (May 20, 2011). http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/pa_factsheet.htm
- Enjoy the Dance. "The Best Joint Treatment is Belly Dancing." Feb. 2, 2011. (May 19, 2011). http://www.enjoythedance.info/belly-dance/the-best-joint-treatment-is-belly-dancing/
- Harvard Medical School. "Arthritis: Keeping your joints healthy." 2000-2011. (May 18, 2011) http://www.health.harvard.edu/special_health_reports/arthritis
- MedicineNet. "Definition of Isotonic exercise." Sept. 18, 1999. (May 19, 2011) http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10189
- Medicine Net. "Tai Chi." 1996-2011. (May 19, 2011). http://www.medicinenet.com/tai_chi/article.htm
- NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. "Belly Dancing." 2011. (May 20, 2011). http://iwd.med.nyu.edu/classes/bellydance
- University of New Mexico. "Training Clients with Arthritis." 2003. (May 20, 2011). http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/arthritis.html
- White, Patience, M.D., M.A., vice president of public health at the Arthritis Foundation. Personal interview. May 20, 2011.
Jimmy Buffet has the right idea with his line of Latitude Margaritaville communities. HowStuffWorks looks at other innovative retirement communities.