Retirees have a leg up on everyone else when it comes to learning to put things in perspective, and usually that includes the ability to laugh at themselves. If you are a dating retiree or are ready to take the leap of faith and go out on dates, you've experienced more than most of the younger generations, and if you haven't "seen it all," you've seen enough to take a good or bad date in stride.
Awkwardness, uncontrollable laughter and embarrassing moments are all part of dating at any age. Being ready to NOT act your age and to feel like a kid again when there's chemistry and intimacy is an even better part of dating, young or old.
Have fun and be ready to laugh at or even during absolutely bad dates while enjoying the differences of two people who don't match but can make the best of it. And the good dates? As toe-curling as ever.
More Great Links
- Baker, Molly. "OMG! My Grandparents Are My BFF!" The Wall Street Journal. May 9, 2011. (May 8, 2011)http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703280904576247152267875970.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
- Brody, Jane. "Getting on With Life After a Partner Dies." The New York Times. June 10, 2010. (May 6, 2011)http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/health/15brod.html?ref=health
- Coffey, Laura T. "On 100th Birthday He Married the Woman of His Dreams." MSNBC.com. May 6, 2011. (May 6, 2011)http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42920393/ns/today-good_news/
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). "Common Fraud Schemes: Target: Senior Citizens." FBI.gov. 2011. (May 11, 2011)http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/fraud/seniors
- Match.com. "Good Advice: Safety Tips to Follow." 2011. (May 11, 2011)http://www.match.com/help/safetytips.aspx
- Montenegro, Xenia. "Lifestyles, Dating and Romance: A Study of Midlife Singles." AARP Magazine. September 2003. (May 6, 2011)assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/general/singles.pdf
- Nielson Company. "Six Million More Seniors Using the Web than Five Years Ago." Nielson Wire. Dec. 10, 2009. (May 6, 2011)http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/six-million-more-seniors-using-the-web-than-five-years-ago/
- Praetorius, Dean. "Oldest Couple to Ever Get Married Ties the Knot." Huffington Post.com. May 3, 2011. (May 6, 2011)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/03/oldest-couple-ever-married_n_857157.html
- Schwartz, Pepper. "Looking to Find New Love? 8 Ways to Know If You're Emotionally Prepared to Begin to Date Again." AARP.org. April 11, 2011. (May 6, 2011)http://www.aarp.org/relationships/love-sex/info-04-2011/ready-to-date-again.htm
- Shellenbarger, Sue. "Teens Take Elders to Tech Boot Camp." The Wall Street Journal. Jan. 12, 2011. (May 9, 2011)http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704515904576075763253410454.html
Jimmy Buffet has the right idea with his line of Latitude Margaritaville communities. HowStuffWorks looks at other innovative retirement communities.