By far the most popular job for RVers is serving as host at a campground or RV park. Much like a park manager position, these jobs typically require you to perform general cleaning and maintenance, monitor the campground or park and greet and register guests. Obviously, it's best if you like working with the public and meeting lots of new people.
These positions can be found everywhere and in camps of all sizes. Make sure to inquire about the park's size and typical occupancy rates ahead of time, along with its amenities, which can be generous or sparse and thus have different commitment needs. Some camp hosts are strictly office-based positions, too, so if you're looking to be out in the fresh air, this wouldn't be the job for you.
Don't assume this job isn't exciting. A Georgia campground in need of a host features a zoo, small-gauge railroad and train and boat dock. A Texas African Wildlife Lodge has giraffe, zebra and wildebeest on the premises.
As we've shown you, a wide variety of jobs are available to suit a diverse population of seniors with RVs. With just a few weeks' or months' worth of work at a time, you can earn enough money to be off to your next exciting destination.
- Broom, Kevin. Director of Media Relations, Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA). Personal interview. May 16, 2011.
- Retirement RVs. "Jobs you can do while you fulltime RV." Jan. 11, 2010. (May 16, 2011)http://www.retirementrvs.com/2010/01/11/jobs-you-can-do-while-you-fulltime-rv/
- Retirement RVs. "Retirement RV Seasonal Job Ideas-Entertainment Jobs." Feb. 8, 2010. (May 16, 2011)http://www.retirementrvs.com/2010/02/08/retirement-rv-seasonal-job-ideas-entertainment-jobs/
- Retirement RVs. "What to do for a job or hobby when you full-time." Aug. 24, 2009. (May 16, 2011)http://www.retirementrvs.com/2009/08/24/what-to-do-for-a-job-or-hobby-when-you-full-time/
- RV Dreams."Typical Workamper jobs." (May 19, 2011) http://www.rv-dreams.com/workamping-job-types.html
- SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. "Career Opportunities." (May 19, 2011) http://careers.worldsofdiscovery.com/Scripts/Home/Default.aspx
- United States Lighthouse Society. "United States Lighthouse Society Presents Where Can I Be A Light Keeper?" (May 19, 2011)http://www.uslhs.org/resources_be_a_keeper.php#Wisconsin
- Workamper. (May 16, 2011)http://www.workamper.com/
- Work for RVers and Campers."Disney Jobs: Join the Magic, Receive Hourly Pay, Discounts, and Free Admissions." (May 16, 2011)http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/
When do most hip injuries in elderly patients occur? Learn more about hip injury seasonality in this HowStuffWorks article.