Yoga Poses for Flexibility and Balance
Doing the exercises on the previous page during the week can help improve your golf game on the weekends. It's also helpful to spend 15 to 20 minutes warming up before you start your game with a short walk and a few of the yoga-inspired stretches below.
Yoga may not seem like a natural complement to golf, but these gentle yoga stretches can help tone the muscles you use during your game while helping to improve your range of motion and balance. This will prevent injury. Try these moves from Yoga Journal carefully until you get the hang of them:
- The chair pose targets your ankles, strengthens your legs and improves balance.
- The cat and cow postures limber up your shoulders and back.
- A simple, seated spinal twist helps increase range of motion in your spine and shoulders, readying your body for the rotation when you swing that golf club.
- The plank pose improves your balance and builds shoulder strength.
- This warrior pose strengthens your arms, legs, ankles and core while stretching the arms and improving range of motion and balance.
Of course, you'll want to talk to your doctor before starting any new fitness routine, especially if you feel dizzy, weak or fatigued. And once you do get the all-clear from your doctor, it's best to mix up your exercise routine so that you're not working out the same sets of muscles two days in a row. For example, you might do strength training on Monday and Wednesday and stretch on Tuesday and Thursday, or split up your routine between upper- and lower-body workouts. Before you know it, you'll have the most powerful swing on the golf course!
For more articles on exercise for senior citizens, check out the links below.
- Department of Kinesiology and Health. "Lower Body Strength Training Exercises." Georgia State University. (May 5, 2011) http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/lowerbod.html
- iGolfFit. "Limited Hip Mobility: Hips Drops." (May 5, 2011) http://www.igolffit.com/EXERCISES/3/EXERCISE3.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Slide show: Golf stretches for a more fluid swing." April 30, 2011. (May 5, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/golf-stretches/SM00089
- Men's Health. "Golf Twist." Golf Fitness. (May 5, 2011) http://www.menshealth.com/golf/exercises/golf-twist.php
- Men's Health. "The Weekend Warrior: Your guide to avoiding the E.R." (May 5, 2011) http://www.menshealth.com/health/weekend-warrior
- Rose, Greg and Peter Mackay. "Golf Fitness Academy." Titleist Performance Institute. (May 5, 2011) http://www.mytpi.com/gfa/episode.asp?id=27
- St. John Providence Health System. "Jog or Walk? Both Boost Your Health." (May 13, 2011) http://www.stjohnprovidence.org/HealthInfoLib/swArticle.aspx?1,2035
- Valeo, Tom. "Exercises for the shoulder and back." WebMD. Dec. 8, 2009. (May 5, 2011) http://men.webmd.com/features/strength-training-building-shoulder-back-muscles
- Yoga Journal. "Bharadvaja's Twist." (May 5, 2011) http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/487
- Yoga Journal. "Cat Pose." (May 5, 2011) http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2468
- Yoga Journal. "Chair Pose." (May 5, 2011) http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/493
- Yoga Journal. "Cow Pose." (May 5, 2011) http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2467
- Yoga Journal. "Warrior II Pose." (May 5, 2011) http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/495