Figures compiled by the ASPS support what many already suspected anecdotally -- the most common cosmetic surgical procedure is breast augmentation. The average fee is $3,351, but can run as high as $10,000, not including implants [source: ASPS]. In 2010, doctors performed almost 300,000 breast augmentations (296,203, to be exact), a 2 percent increase over 2009, and a 39 percent increase over 2000 (212,500). Clearly, Hollywood isn't the only place where breast augmentation is popular (although the West Coast dominates that category).
Not only are breast augmentation procedures on the rise, but so is the use of silicone implants. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned silicone implants in 1992, following some disastrous results. But in 2006, the FDA allowed the reintroduction of plastic gel implants, though some safety concerns remain. In 2010, 60 percent of the implants used were silicone, while 40 percent were saline (essentially sterile salt water).
During a straightforward breast augmentation procedure, the implants are placed beneath either the breast tissue or chest muscles. In the case of saline implants, the risk is minimized since, should a leak occur, the salt water is naturally absorbed by the body. With silicone implants, many plastic surgeons recommend routine follow-up visits to ensure the implant isn't compromised [source: ASPS].
The FDA doesn't recommend breast augmentation surgery before a patient is at least 18, to allow these young women to develop naturally first. Silicone implants are not recommended for any patient under the age of 22.
Ready to book that doctor's appointment? We've got lots more information below.
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. "Demand for Plastic Surgery Rebounds by Almost 9%" April 4, 2011 (Sept. 21, 2011) http://www.surgery.org/media/news-releases/demand-for-plastic-surgery-rebounds-by-almost-9%25
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "2010 Average Surgeon/Physician Fees." (Sept. 21, 2011) http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Documents/news-resources/statistics/2010-statisticss/Regional-Distribution/2010-surgeon-physician-fees-cosmetic-surgery-minimally-invasive-procedures.pdf
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "2010 Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Statistics." (Sept. 21, 2011) http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Documents/news-resources/statistics/2010-statisticss/Overall-Trends/2010-cosmetic-plastic-surgery-minimally-invasive-statistics.pdf
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. "Breast augmentation procedure steps." (Sept. 21, 2011) http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-augmentation.html?sub=Breast%20augmentation%20procedure%20steps#content
- Doheny, Kathleen. "Study: some Nose-Job Patients Have Mental Health Problem." WebMD. July 28, 2011 (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/news/20110728/study-some-nose-job-patients-have-body-image-disorder
- McNicholas, Kym. "Most Popular Plastic Surgeries of 2008." Forbes.com. March 16, 2009 (Sept. 21, 2011) http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/16/popular-plastic-surgery-lifestyle-health-cosmetic-surgery.html
- Paré, Amelia, MD. Plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Pittsburgh, PA. Personal interview conducted on Sept. 20 and 23, 2011.
- WebMD. "Breast Implants." (Sept. 22, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/cosmetic-procedures-breast-augmentation
- WebMD. "Cosmetic Procedures and Liposuction." Reviewed, Sept. 19, 2009 (Sept. 22, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/guide/cosmetic-procedure-liposuction
- WebMD. "Cosmetic Procedures: Tummy Tuck." (Sept. 22, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/guide/cosmetic-procedures-tummy-tuck
- WebMD. "Eyelid Surgery." (Sept. 23, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/cosmetic-procedures-eyelid-surgery
- WebMD. "Rhinoplasty." (Sept. 22, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/rhinoplasty
- WebMD. "Teens and Nose Jobs (Rhinoplasty)." (Sept. 22, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/rhinoplasty-teens
- WebMD. "Turning Back Time." (Sept. 23, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/features/turning-back-time
What is a vampire facial? HowStuffWorks looks at this spa trend and the problems it's causing.