Take Teamwork to a New Level
Some corporations send employees on retreats to embark upon teambuilding activities like the notorious "falling" exercise where an individual plunges backward into a pile of co-workers and expects to be safely caught. Perhaps a simpler, more old-fashioned approach would be just as effective: competitive team sports. And -- bonus -- you'd get more exercise that way, too.
If your company has a team in an after-work sports league, take advantage of the opportunity to get fit with your co-workers. Warm-weather sports like softball will really get you sweating. You might even try something new and unique like adult dodgeball.
If your company doesn't have any sports leagues, consider starting one. Impromptu after-work games like pick-up basketball are another fun, active option.
You'll find lots more fitness information below.
- Arthritis Today. "Answering Your Tai Chi Questions." (March 6, 2011)http://www.arthritistoday.org/fitness/other-exercise/tai-chi-questions.php
- Bouchez, Colette. "The Lunch Hour Workout." WebMD. 2006. (March 6, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/the-lunch-hour-workout
- Brown, Rebecca. "Workout Schedule: Work Out on Your Lunch Break." Shape. (March 6, 2011)http://www.shape.com/fitness/workout-schedule-work-out-on-your-lunch-break
- Buchan, Meaghan. " Lose weight on your lunch break." Self. (March 6, 2011)http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2007/10/lunch-break-slideshow#slide=1
- Casey, John. "5 Tips to Avoid Winter Weight Gain." WebMD. (March 6, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/5-tips-to-avoid-winter-weight-gain
- Fit Sugar. "Join the Office Softball League and Burn Calories." March 13, 2007. (March 6, 2011)http://www.fitsugar.com/Join-Office-Softball-League-Burn-Calories-170647
- Levine, Irene S. "Mind Matters: Get Moving." Science Careers. (March 6, 2011)http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_development/previous_issues/articles/2008_07_25/caredit_a0800113
- Mayo Clinic. "How to Start a Walking Group." March 25, 2009. (March 6, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/SM00062_D
- Noelcke, Liz. "Post-Workout Beauty Tips." Spark People. (March 6, 2011)http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=606
- Popke, Stacy. "Squeeze Exercise into Your Busy Day." The Diet Channel. Sept. 27, 2006. (March 6, 2011)http://www.thedietchannel.com/Squeeze-Exercise-Into-Your-Busy-Day.htm
- Real Women's Fitness. "9 Ways To Squeeze Exercise Into Your Busy Work Day." (March 6, 2011)http://realwomensfitness.com/womens-weight-loss/9-ways-to-squeeze-exercise-into-your-busy-work-day/
- Rossheim, John. "Fit fitness into your workday." Monster.com. (March 6, 2011)http://career-advice.monster.com/in-the-office/work-life-balance/fit-fitness-into-your-workday/article.aspx
- Shape Up America. "10,000 Steps." (March 6, 2011)http://www.shapeup.org/shape/steps.php
- Whole Living. "Outdoor Yoga Routine." July/Aug. 2005. (March 6, 2011)http://www.wholeliving.com/article/yoga-alfresco
- Zelman, Kathleen M. "Step Diet: Count Steps, Not Calories." WebMD. (March 6, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-step-diet
Is exercising at work widely accepted? Visit Discovery Fit & Health to learn if exercising at work is widely accepted.