Most dogs get their exercise by chasing chew toys in the backyard or on regular walks with their owners. But if you want your dog to get a little more cardio, then you can buy a dog treadmill or send the pooch off to doggy bootcamp. You may find yourself getting a workout as well; at Thank Dog! Bootcamp in Los Angeles, owners have to do 10 push-ups if their dogs don't sit on command [source: Heckscher].
If your dog is more mellow, then you both may enjoy doga, which is yoga for dogs. Both human and dog have work to do: In some poses, dogs help their humans get a deeper stretch, while at other times, humans hold their dogs' limbs to support them in certain positions. Classes also include massages for the dogs that are meant to improve their digestion, and the humans get a burst of the happy hormones that come from de-stressing with your pet.
Plus, your dog can give you a leg up in yoga classes. If you haven't mastered the downward-facing dog or the upward-facing dog position, who better to help you out than your four-legged friend? No word on whether cobras, eagles or dolphins (other animals that have inspired yogic poses) will eventually have yoga classes of their own.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Ali, Lorraine. "Aerobics for Anarchists." Newsweek. Nov. 11, 2002.
- Bee, Peta. "It's high heels, not trainers, you'll need for the latest exercise class." The Times. Jan. 17, 2006.
- Bertrand, Amy. "Trampoline Center Offers Great Exercise with Sky-High Fun Factor." St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Aug. 7, 2006.
- Bounds, Joanna. "Weird Workouts." Sunday Telegraph. Oct. 5, 2003.
- Carey, Benedict and Laura Fraser. "Vital Signs." Health. March/April 1993.
- Cox, Lauren. "Top 5 Weird Weight Loss Products." ABC. Sept. 28, 2009. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/top-weird-workouts/story?id=8673405
- Dahlstrom, Linda. "Hula Chair: Sitting Down Gets Dangerous." MSNBC. June 5, 2008. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://doesitwork.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/05/1118057.aspx
- Davlin, Melissa. "Bringing the heat: Suggestive dance is workout alternative." Twin Falls Times-News. March 2, 2009.
- Dellagloria, Rebecca. "Yoga: Ancient Indian practice has been turned on its head." Miami Herald. 2008.
- Gora, Bronwen. "Slim while you spin -- the hula hoop workout -- spinning around." Sunday Herald Sun. Feb. 2, 2003.
- Heckscher, Melissa. "Pup, two, three four! Workouts keep pets and their owners from getting too poochy." Daily Breeze. July 7, 2008. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.thankdogbootcamp.com/PDF/fidoarticle-1.pdf
- Hendrie, Alison. "Daring to Be a Daredevil, in Circus Class." New York Times. March 7, 2000. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/07/health/the-novice-daring-to-be-a-daredevil-in-circus-class.html
- Holloway, Lynette. "A Workout Video with a Hip-Hop Sensibility." New York Times. Aug. 5, 2002. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/05/business/media-a-workout-video-with-a-hip-hop-sensibility.html
- Howard, Maria. "Punk Rope -- It's an Acquired Taste for Getting Fit." Richmond Times-Dispatch. Dec. 9, 2007.
- Josephs, Susan. "Get a grip. Seriously." Los Angeles Times. May 24, 2009.
- Kennedy, Emily. "Rebound Your Way to Fitness." Alive: Canadian Journal of Health and Nutrition. May 2009.
- Kilgannon, Corey. "Moshing to the Oldies, No Lycra Required." New York Times. May 13, 2002. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/13/nyregion/bowery-journal-moshing-to-the-oldies-no-lycra-required.html
- Kizis, Deana. "Three-Ring Workout." Harper's Bazaar. September 1999.
- Lallanilla, Marc. "New Gym Classes: Karaoke on Wheels to Stiletto Heels." ABC. Jan. 3, 2006. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Diet/story?id=1452756
- Lee, Wendy A. "The Trapeze, the Catwalk, the Gym." New York Times. July 30, 2009. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/health/nutrition/30fitness.html
- Lyttle, Bethany. "Bonding with their Downward-Facing Humans." New York Times. April 9, 2009. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/fashion/09fitness.html
- Maitre, Charlotte. "Fitness class preps feet for stilettos." Columbia News Service. May 11, 2006. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0511stilettos0511.html
- Medina, Jennifer. "Grass Skirt, Meet the Sweatsuit." New York Times. Nov. 20, 2004. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/20/nyregion/20hula.html
- Payne, January W. "On Your Feet." Washington Post. May 8, 2007. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/04/AR2007050401940.html
- Price, Catherine. "Why I hate partner yoga." Salon. Jan. 23, 2008. (Oct. 13, 2009) http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/01/23/partner_yoga/index.html
- Reid, Shaheem. "'Ruff Ryders' Thug Workout' Takes 'Tae Bo' To the Street." MTV. April 18, 2002. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453475/20020417/ruff_ryders.jhtml
- Roth, Mitchel P. "Prisons and prison systems: a global encyclopedia." Greenwood Publishing Group. 2006. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=RTH31DgbTzgC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_navlinks_s#v=onepage&q=&f=false
- Rowsome, Drew. "When you really wanna be sedated." Maclean's. April 30, 2007.
- Stein, Jeannine. "Turning dogs into cobras in one pose." Los Angeles Times. Sept. 22, 2003.
- Stober, Dan. "Fitness workouts for Fido." San Jose Mercury News. June 29, 2005.
- Sullivan, Niki. "Stripper-inspired workouts XXX-ercise: Classes help women get in touch with their bodies and their sensual sides, and they have fun, too." Tacoma News Tribune. Sept. 25, 2006.
- Villarosa, Linda. "Sing-Along Aerobics at Your Corner Gym." New York Times. Nov. 28, 2000. (Oct. 13, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/28/health/sing-along-aerobics-at-your-corner-gym.html
- Wheeler, Karen. "The High Heel Workout." Daily Mail. Oct. 24, 2005.
- Woodie, Brent. "The Thug Workout." The Source. Feb. 2009. (Oct. 13, 2009) http://www.thesource.com/2009/02/the-thug-workout/
Exercise is more important than ever — it decreases tension and elevates moods — both critical now. So how do you stay fit from home? We'll show you.