Three Simple Facial Yoga Exercises
While she doesn't have studies to back up her claims, Hagan says she's seen great improvement in the appearance of her clients who do regular Facial Yoga. Want to judge for yourself? Practice these exercises for five to 10 minutes a day for several weeks and see if they make a difference for you.
Baby Bird: Tilt your head back slightly and point your chin upward toward the ceiling. Touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth, smile, and swallow. Try this several times centered and several times each with your head tilted slightly left and slightly right. This will tone the muscles under your chin and jaw that tend to sag with age.
Smiling Buddha Face: Look at yourself in the mirror and watch yourself smile: Do you notice a contraction in your forehead? This can contribute to crow's feet and wrinkles. For several minutes, practice smiling gently while keeping your forehead smooth. If you can train yourself to find a neutral smile with a smooth forehead, this can serve as a "reboot" throughout the day when you feel tension coming on.
Satchmo: Take a deep breath in through your nose and hold it in, letting the air fill your cheeks. Slowly puff the air from side to side, letting one cheek puff out and then the other, until you run out of air; then slowly exhale. This move keeps your buccinators, or cheek muscles, strong and full, helping to maintain a youthful, round appearance.
- Beat the Heat with these Yoga Tricks
- The Ultimate Yoga Quiz
- Improve Your Running Style with these Yoga Poses
- CBS 2 New York. "Facial yoga a Growing Anti-Aging Trend." December 2, 2010. (March 31, 2012) http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/12/02/facial-yoga-a-growing-anti-aging-trend/
- Drosu, Alexandra. "Can Yoga Save Face?" Los Angeles Times. November 9, 2008. (March 29, 2013) http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/09/image/ig-beauty9
- Golodryga, Briana and Singh, Natasha. "Face Yoga Is the New, Natural Anti-Aging Trend." ABC News. November 2, 2012. (March 23, 2013) http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/11/face-yoga-is-the-new-natural-anti-aging-trend/
- Hagen, Annelise. Personal interview. March 21, 2013.
- Hagen, Annelise. "The Yoga Face." Avery Press, 2007.