Spiritual Distinctions of Yoga and Pilates
Most sports and exercise programs are equal parts mind games and physical prowess. They require concentration, dedication, determination and any number of other attributes not related to biceps to achieve success. Yoga and Pilates engage the mind in different ways, however, and the spiritual aspect is believed by many to be the most important difference between the two disciplines [source: mindbodygreen].
"Yoga moves are intended as a gateway to allow someone to achieve a higher sense of awareness, whether that's a relationship with their own God or higher power, or just a personal, spiritual awakening," Hunt explains. "I personally teach in some classes a sense of gratitude for the moves and the ability to move in the first place."
Yoga has its roots in Hinduism (working on the poses allowed the devout to meditate for hours more easily in one position). Because of that, some followers of Christianity and Islam consider it blasphemous [source: The Economist]. However, other believers insist that it's no more than a form of exercise to them.
Although Pilates does encourage a strong mind/body connection (through breathing), it lacks the spiritual aspect that yoga is famous for. That spirituality sometimes spills over into other aspects of life, with many yogis embracing vegetarianism as a nonviolent alternative to meat-eating, although it's not a hard and fast rule, by any means [source: Barrett]. Yoga devotees also may take up meditation as a separate spiritual practice in addition to their yoga time.
However, neither exercise is going to rev up your ticker as much as spin or aerobics will, and they tend to burn significantly fewer calories than high-impact fitness options. If shedding pounds is your primary goal, it's best to include a range of strength and cardiac-based routines in addition to yoga or Pilates.
Author's Note: What's the difference between yoga and Pilates?
I'm not gonna lie, when I was young and dumb I believed yoga and Pilates to be workouts for people who were afraid to really get sweaty. Then I tried them both and ate my words. If only that was the stupidest thing thought or said in my early years...
More Great Links
- Barr, Naomi. "Yoga vs. Pilates." O Magazine. 2015. (June 24, 2015) http://www.oprah.com/health/Easy-Ways-to-Live-Longer
- Barrett, Jennifer. "Explore Yoga's Vegetarian Roots." Yoga Journal. Aug. 28, 2007. (June 30, 2015) http://www.yogajournal.com/article/philosophy/the-roots-of-vegetarianism/
- Core Concepts Pilates, Inc. "The Importance of Breath in Pilates." 2015. (June 25, 2015) http://www.coreconceptschicago.com/blog/2014/4/20/the-importance-of-breath-in-pilates
- Davis, Jeanie Lerche. "Yogalates: A Blend of Exercises." WebMD. Sept. 25, 2003. (June 25, 2015) http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/yogalates-blend-of-exercises
- The Economist. "Christian, Islam and Yoga. How Far Can You Stretch?" June 24, 2015. (June 25, 2015) http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2015/06/christianity-islam-and-yoga
- Eisler, Melissa. "Yoga Versus Pilates: Which One's Right for You?" Active. 2015. (June 24, 2015) http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/yoga-versus-pilates-which-one-s-right-for-you
- Feuerstein, Greg. "A Short History of Yoga." SwamiJ. 2015. (June 24, 2015) http://www.swamij.com/history-yoga.htm
- Hessel, Jillian. "Pilates and Yoga." 2015. (June 30, 2015) http://www.jillianhessel.com/beyondpilates_yoga.html
- Hunt, Jamie. Certified yoga instructor. Phone interview. June 23, 2015.
- Johnson, Caitlin. "How Does Yoga Differ From Pilates?" ABC News. Jan. 9, 2006. (June 24, 2015) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Diet/story?id=1486745
- Joseph Pilates. "History of Joseph Pilates." 2015. (June 24, 2015) http://www.josephpilates.com/joomla/history-of-joseph-pilatesa-little-about-the-man-behind-it-all.html
- Kries, Jennifer. "What's the Difference Between Yoga and Pilates?" SparkPeople. Aug. 17, 2012. (June 30, 2015) http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=whats_the_difference_between_yoga_and_pilates
- McClain, Louvonia. "Celebrities who stay fit with Pilates." Rolling Out. March 11, 2013. (June 24, 2015) http://rollingout.com/culture/celebrities-who-stay-fit-with-pilates/
- McKernan, Dan. "13 celebrities who practice yoga." The Ultimate Yogi. March 14, 2012. (June 24, 2015) http://www.theultimateyogi.com/13-celebrities-who-practice-yoga-and-why/
- Mindbodygreen. "Yoga or Pilates: Which Is Right For You?" Jan. 22, 2015. (June 25, 2015) http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-17141/yoga-or-pilates-which-is-right-for-you-infographic.html
- Romine, Stephanie. "7 Yoga Essentials for Beginners." SparkPeople. Jan. 30, 2013. (June 30, 2015) http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=7_yoga_essentials_for_beginners
- Siler, Brooke. "What's the Difference Between Pilates and Yoga?" Women's Health. Nov. 5, 2013. (June 30, 2015) http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/difference-between-yoga-and-pilates
- Solomon Yogalates. "About Yogalates." 2015. (June 30, 2015) http://www.yogalates.com.au/about-yogalates